Chapter 74

Everyone in the stands stare at Pikachu and Electchu with their eyes open and their mouth agape. Coovers, Brock, and Serena are standing still from their benches with the honey blonde girl keeping a tight grip on her treasured ribbon. Ash and Timothy gaze upon their Pokemon as Pikachu and Electchu keep their hands on each other's shoulders and glower at each other. The referee watches them closely, unsure of which one or both Pokemon will faint with their bodies full of scratches and singed fur.

Then suddenly, one Pokemon's posture begins to falter. Its eyes widen, and its glare melts away into a look of horror. It backs away from its opponent and begins to wobble back and forth. The mouse Pokemon desperately pleads with its body to stay conscious just long enough to win, but no matter how much it begs for a little more time, its body is so frail that it can barely stay standing for as long as it has. Its trainer's heart begins to break as he watches his partner's eyes grow heavy. Finally, the Pokemon falls down on its back and lies motionless.

"It's all over!" The referee announces. "Electchu is unable to battle. Pikachu wins, and so the winner of this match and the Indigo League is Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town!"

The crowd roars with thunderous applause. Ash stands in place like a statue with his eyes wide open before he musters the biggest open smile on his face, and he and Pikachu run toward each other.

"Pikachu!" Ash shouts.

"Pi! Pikachu!" Pikachu shouts joyously.

The yellow mouse Pokemon leaps into Ash's arms and they laugh happily in the middle of the field. Timothy feels tears starting to come out of his eyes before he shuts his eyes, his hands turn into fists, and he lets out a frustrated yell that's drowned out by the cheering from the audience. He falls to his knees and barely resists the temptation to slams his fist into the ground. Coovers rushes to his side and places his hand on his friend. Misty, Max, May, Dawn, Piplup, Clemont, Bonnie, Iris, Axew, and Cilan cheer at the top of their lungs. May and Max hug each other while Dawn jumps up and down happily with Piplup in her arms. Iris shakes her fist into the air while Cilan claps loudly as if he just watched an opera. Misty watches Ash and Pikachu celebrate with tears in her eyes, happy beyond words that the boy she admires has finally won a major Pokemon league.

Brock races toward Ash and Pikachu with Serena merrily following behind.

"Great job, Ash!" Brock praises. "You finally did it!"

"Yeah, I did!" Ash cheers.

"Ash!" Serena shouts.

Ash turns to Serena, running toward him with the biggest smile on her face, and Ash smiles, happy to see her spirits so high. Pikachu hops out of Ash's arms just in time for the honey blonde girl to slam into him, and pull him in the tightest hug he's ever felt yet. Brock smirks while Ash lets out a sharp gasp as Serena's embrace squeezes the air out of him. She lets out a loud, blissful sigh as she snuggles her head beside Ash's shoulder. Ash takes a moment to process what is happening before he hugs her back.

"Ash, did you really mean it?" Serena asks. "Did you mean it when you said you did this battle for me?"

"Every word," Ash says without hesitation.

Serena's heart leaps, and tears of joy slowly emerge from her eyes. Her bright smile is hidden by Ash's shoulder as she tightens her hug.

"Serena?" Ash asks quizzingly.

"Just hold on to me, Ash," Serena requests. "Hold me as tight as you can, and don't let go until they give you your trophy. Please."

Ash blinks for a second before he smiles as he does, as Serena requested. He tightens the hug, pulling the honey blonde girl more towards him, and Serena sighs happily again and lays her head against Ash's without thinking about it. Ash is confused with Serena laying her head against his but ultimately pays no mind as long as she is as happy as he's been working so hard for her to be.