Chapter 17

It is early the next morning, and everyone inside Misty's house is filled with excitement. Serena and Dawn are preparing for the contest while Misty and Brock feed everyone breakfast. Dawn is excited to start competing in contests again while Serena is thinking of her strategies as she eats her eggs and bacon. After a while, Dawn notices the concentrated look one the honey blonde girl's face and puts her hand on Serena's shoulder. Serena snaps out her thoughts and turns to Dawn, who gives her a small smile.

"Nervous, Serena?" Dawn asks.

"A little," Serena admits. "I have every confidence in the performance stage, but even after training with Ash, I'm not sure I'm ready for the battling stage."

Suddenly, she feels a hand on her other shoulder, and she turns around to see Ash smirking.

"Don't worry about it, Serena," he says assuredly. "Whatever comes your way, I know you're going to overcome it. You're strong enough to get all five your ribbons in a flash. I know it."

Serena's cheeks turn red, and she quickly shakes off her blush to give Ash a sweet smile.

"Thank you, Ash," she says. "I'll give it everything I got. I promise."

"I know you will," Ash says before he goes back to his breakfast.

Serena sighs and rests her head on her hand as she looks at Ash fondly, touched by his encouragement. Her moment is interrupted when she hears Dawn clearing her throat. Her blush returns as she turns to the blunette, who gives her a smug look and leans into her ear.

"You know, Serena, Ash may be as dense as my hair is blue, but you might want to be careful with how you fawn over him in public," she whispers.

Serena chuckles nervously while Dawn keeps her teasing smirk. The moment is broken, however, when May looks at the clock and gasps.

"Oh my gosh, is that the time already?!" she shouts. "We need to be at the stadium in fifteen minutes."

Everyone gasps in alarm and Dawn and Serena quickly finish their breakfast before grabbing their things and running out the door. Everyone else soon finishes their breakfast and runs after them as fast as their legs can carry them. By the time Ash, Pikachu, Brock, May, Max, and Misty make it to the stadium, they find Dawn and Serena panting by the front desk in relief.

"We made it just in time," Dawn says.

Everyone else sighs in relief until they hear a beeping sound from the stadium intercom

"All contestants, please proceed to the waiting room," says a female voice from the speakers.

The two competing girls look at each other with Dawn, saying, "Guess that's us."

"Alright, good luck, you two," Brock says encouragingly.

"We'll be cheering for all of you," Misty says.

"Knock 'em dead," Max says.

Dawn and Serena nod in approval while Ash walks over to Serena.

"Remember, Serena, just give it everything you've got," he says.

"Right," Serena says with a determined nod. "I won't give up until it's over."

Ash laughs, amused with Serena using his own words again while she smiles back before following Dawn to the backstage. Misty frowns, noticing the way she looked at Ash and sighs.

"Something wrong, Misty?" Max asks.

Misty snaps out of her train of thought and chuckles at the younger boy.