11: hospital bed

A soft beeping of a heart monitor awoke me, I batted open my eyes and peered around an empty hospital room. I was confused until I moved slightly and a burst of pain jolted through me. My gaze flickered down to my hip and noticed a bandage wrapped firmly around my lower waist.

A couple of tears dribbled down my cheeks and I felt a wave of sadness wash over me. Poor Jessi, she was probably scared sick- and Shannon wasn't there either to console her. I placed my head in my hands and began to sob, all my stress was radiating off me and even though I wanted to stop crying, I couldn't.

"(Y/n) are you ok?!" The sound of Judd's voice made me snap my head up, he had a coffee cup in his hand and bags under his eyes. A weak smile erupted on my face and he relaxed a little, I even managed to see a little bit of pity. He dragged a chair next to my bed and just sat there looking at the last of my tears fall.
"Where's Jessi?" I asked, my voice cracking.
"She's at my house, she was pretty worked up."
"Fuck!" I choked and felt my eyes burn. Everything felt like my fault, if I hadn't lashed out at Steph she wouldn't have had the motive for revenge. It was like someone had placed weights on my chest and my mind began reminding me of the fear that I had felt when she had the knife to my throat.

"(Y/n), Jessi told me what she saw." His voice remained deadly serious and I saw the flickers of flames behind those emerald green eyes. Wow, amazing timing Judd, I wanted to say but instead let out a shaky breath.
"No one should have to see that!" I exclaimed croakily, feeling my cheeks get wet again. His nostrils flared and he wiped away my tears with his thumbs like my mum used to.
"I'm going to dismember Steph and make her limbs into a necklace. Then I'm going to drain her blood and make her drink it slowly as she does." He seethed, I widened my eyes but not at the fact that he'd actually do it- but at how creatively he'd gone about it. The blood bit did admittedly creep me out though.

A laugh erupted from my lips and warmth spread on his face, he then leant over me and placed a kiss on my cheek. "Who knew Judd Birch was a romantic." I gushed with a small blush. His face hardened.
"Shut up retarded faggot." I could see the smile behind his words and beamed. The doctor then walked in and  Judd retracted his hand from mine and placed a frown on his face, I furrowed my eyebrows, I was a bit hurt I couldn't deny it, but then again I was aware that he didn't like showing himself vulnerable.

"How are you doing (Y/n), that cut of yours was pretty deep but we've stitched it up and you should good to be going home, we'll contact you in a month to check up on how the healings going. Obviously if anything happens before then don't hesitate to come back to see us." The doctor said with a sweet smile. I nodded and thanked him before getting up and gathering the things Judd had brought for me: a spare change of clothes, a rucksack and a taser for some reason- couldn't blame him though after what happened last night.

As soon as the door shut behind him Judd grabbed my hand again, holding it tightly. I turned my head and smiled at him, kissing his cheek lightly as he had done to me. He made a grunting sound but his body language came across as happy. Then everything went quiet and he looked into my eyes, he looked nervous. I was about to ask him if everything was alright but he beat me to it and began to talk, "(Y/n) look faggot you don't have to say yes in fact just say no if you don't want to but I- I was wondering if you wanted to-"
"(Y/n)! Oh my god you're ok!" Cried Jessi, bursting into the room and interrupting the boy in front of me. Judd snatched his hand away and replaced the previously anxious one with an unimpressed frown. Dammit Jess! I thought but then pulled her in for a massive hug, warning her not to squeeze tightly because I had to be careful of my hip.

She began speaking so fast even Judd raised an eyebrow. I frowned confusedly and asked her politely to slow down so I could understand what she was saying.

"Nick's mom and Dad drove me here as soon as Judd told them you were awake, I was so scared I didn't sleep last night!"
"Fuck, Jeez, I'm so sorry Jessi..." my voice trailed off and I stood there cracking my knuckles anxiously, my mind had suddenly gone blank and I had no idea how to help her.
"Alright retarded midget give her some space, don't overwhelm her." Judd snapped with a growl, I made a mental note to thank him later for that because I really didn't know what to do.

I secretly smiled at how protective Judd was though, the way he had say 'don't overwhelm her," made my stomach erupt in butterflies. Jessi bit her lip as if she was about to lash out at him but luckily she decided against it and nodded, slowly turning away and walking out of the room.

"T-Thanks Judd. I had no idea how to help her-"
"You shouldn't be helping her, you should be focusing on making yourself better- now do you or do you not want to go to dinner with me?!" I blinked twice, confused on how the two subjects were linked. He sighed and began to turn around, as if he had taken my abrupt silence as a no.
"Yeah I'd actually love to." I replied softly, he stopped in his tracks and jolted his head back.
"Really?- I mean sweet I'll pick you up at 8 next Friday." His hands intertwined with mine for the third time and I smiled excitedly.
"It's a date!" I chuckled but then winced at a sudden burst of pain. It was nothing serious but it made the smile on Judd's face disappear and made him seriously panic.

My free hand found its way to his chest, where I placed it over his heart and felt its vibrations pulse on my palm. "We should probably get going, I don't want to stay in this hell hole any longer." I said squeezing his hand playfully, he then pulled me in and placed a soft kiss on my lips.
"My cars outside, lets ditch my parents."