Shell Yeah

Bella's POV

Today I was in work again and since I had a full nights sleep, my Dad was letting me back on the beach and in the water, whoop. It was Sunday which meant it would most likely be busy again today.

I don't start till 11am so I decided to go to a café in Bondi to pick up some lunch bits for the guys who were already working. Ordering a bunch of sandwiches, a few pasta pots, some cartons of juice and a box of cookies, I started to make my way to the tower.

Damn they're going to be all over me..those animals.. I chuckled to myself knowing how much they love their food.

Walking into the tower with my bags that contained a lifeguard feast I was greeted with a few hi's and hey's from Jake, Whippet and Singlets who were obviously on tower duty.

They all did a double take seeing I was carrying lunch which caused me to giggle.

"Eyes on the water boys." I winked.

God, I sound like my dad.

"Hey boys, Belle's here with lunch so you lucky sods who have your break better come up." Whippet said over the radio.

The tower door opened again and in waked Maxi and Jesse who both smiled and hugged me. They were about to start their shifts too. Azza, Harries, Reidy, Quiggers and Harrison walked into the tower next and came straight for the bags like vultures.. yikes!

"Aww what? If we knew you'd be bringing lunch we wouldn't have had any." Maxi pouted as I laughed.

"Right, Maxi you're down at backpackers with Chappo, Jesse and Belle you're both down south end." Azza said giving me a sympathetic look. I cringed, hating south end.

During my first ever shift as a lifeguard a few years ago, I was shadowing Reidy when we saw someone struggling in a rip in south end. Reidy ran in but suddenly the man had disappeared. Later on when we were packing up a boy came to the tower, his father was missing. The chopper came and we searched the waters until a body was pulled to shore by Azza. Unfortunately after 45 minutes of resuscitation from myself, Reidy and Azza, the paramedics pronounced the man dead.

Losing someone isn't easy, especially on your first day. I've never liked south end since but I know I can't avoid it forever.

"Come on Princess." Jesse smiled walking down the steps beckoning me to to follow. I rolled my eyes at the new nickname he'd picked up from the little boy yesterday.

"Hey, you're off tomorrow right?" He asked as we walked along the beach towards south end.

"I sure am."

"Wanna go for a surf with Box and I? It's been ages since we've been out." Jesse was right, it had been a while, we used to go surfing quite a lot.

"Shell Yeah!" I exclaim smiling causing us both to laugh.

Sitting in the blue rhino with Jesse, I watched the water as he used the megaphone and told swimmers this was a dangerous area to swim.

"Shit." I mumbled pulling off my blue Bondi lifeguard top and black shorts, leaving me in my lifeguard bikini. Grabbing a rescue board I head for the ocean.

"BELLA WHE-"

I can't hear the rest of what Jesse says as I'm too far out now. Paddling to a young man who was stuck in a rip and looked close to going under. I stopped as I reached him and he grabbed my board panting. He looked no older than about 22.

"Thank you, thank you." He mumbled in an accent, definitely not an Aussie.

"You're alright mate! Take a minute, catch your breath." I said patting his back.

Once he was on my board we caught a wave in. Back on sand I asked him the usual questions; did you swallow any water? Did you hit your head? Etc. He said he swallowed no water so I just directed him to the flags.

"Thank you, you saved my life." he said kissing my hand then both my cheeks as my cheeks turned pink.

European. Definitely European.

Walking back to the rhino I saw Jesse laughing at me, I subtly gave him the finger which caused him to gasp in feign offence. Laughing, I pulled my shorts back on as I sat next to him.

"That guy seemed to take a liking to you nemo ay?"

Turning around I came face to face with my Dad. Yeah him and a lot of the guys sometimes call me Nemo or Dolphin.. I guess cause I'm like a fish...yeno swimming.

"Well, he did get rescued by Princess Charming!" I joked causing both Jesse and my Dad to laugh.

At about 3pm I was put back on tower duty again with Jesse, Mouse, Corey and Reidy. I didn't mind being back at the tower because after about 50 rescues, I definitely need to chillax.

Nothing out of the ordinary was happening, you know the usual flat rock victims, fin chops and dislocations. That was until my Dad radioed through to the tower...