Chapter Twenty Six: Game Night, Part Two

"His son? He said that?" Mary asked.

Monica froze. He wanted to talk to one of his children. Just not the one that wanted to talk to him.

"He says he wants to talk to Jack... alone," Dean continued.

"No. Absolutely not," Mary replied.

"I'm not afraid of him," Jack said, as if offended.

"Nick's cracked. He's friggin' Cocoa Puffs, okay?"

"Sam?" Jack asked, looking at the taller Winchester.

"I mean--" he started, but Dean cut him off.

"'I mean?' What do you mean, you mean?"

"I-I mean... Look, finding Donatello is going slowly, Dean, and Nick is locked down in our bunker. How's he even a threat?"

At least someone thinks like I do, Monica thought.

"He's always a threat," Mary said.

"Donatello helped me, and now he needs my help. He's my friend." Jack's voice was firm.

"And I don't think we have another choice," Sam added.

Jack left the room, and Monica followed. Once they were in the hallway, out of view, she grabbed him by the arm. "I am going with you."

Jack looked at her. "No, you're not. Nick wants to see me alone. Besides, if you're there, who knows what he'll do?"

"I don't care. I am coming with."

Jack turned and faced her. "No, you're not." He touched her softly, locking her in place, and continued.

Monica tried to scream at him, but she couldn't speak, either. After a minute it wore off. She muttered a few curses under her breath and went back to the others, fists clenched.

Dean looked at her. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," she said. "Where is Castiel, anyway?"

"He said he'd be back tomorrow. Nebraska."

Monica seriously doubted he was hunting. More than likely, he was searching for a way to fix Jack, just as she had. Well, if he wasn't going to be honest with her, why should she be honest with him? Now she had no reason to tell anyone about the spell.

A few minutes later, Jack came out.

Mary was the first to flag him with questions.

"How'd it go? Did he...?"

"Nick. He'll show us where to find Donatello."

Sam and Dean left, and Jack, Mary, and Monica started packing.

"You hear from Sam and Dean?" Jack asked.

"No, not yet," Mary replied, shoving some stuff inside a bag.

"What's all this?" Jack asked.

"Some stuff we found at Donatello's. It's not helping."

Jack picked up a syringe. "This... this was grace. Can't you feel it? This was filled with angelic grace."

Monica held out her hand. Jack placed it on her palm. She squeezed it gently. He was right, it was filled with grace.

Just then Jack keeled over in pain.

"Jack!" Monica shouted, just as Mary asked, "What is it?"

"I feel-- It feels like my blood's burning. He has it."