[15]: Elders

[Damien's POV]

        I watched as Leilani chased Alex around the front yard trying to tackle him, chuckling to myself.  It had been a good idea to give Alex these days off.  Leilani's spirit had seemed to lift over the last few days spent with her brother.  Although, her appearance still hadn't improved, her temperament seemed to have.  I hadn't realized how long it had been since I heard her laugh, until I actually heard it as it floated up through an open window the other day.  I had forgotten how musical it sounded.  How it could lift the corners of my mouth, until I was smiling.  I had taken her laughter for granted, since I had heard it so often when we were mere children.  Hearing it now after its absence for so long, made my soul soar, when it shouldn't have.

        As I was watching the siblings play together, I felt arms encircle my waist from behind, knowing it was Rachel.  Strange how this simple act use to give me complete comfort and ease my stress.  Lately, its power seemed to have diminished in its soothing capacity.  I needed to shake myself out of these doldrums I was in.  Make peace with myself over Leilani, make sure she was happy.  Maybe then everything would get back to normal.  Maybe then, I could move on with my life with Rachel.

"Hey baby, what are you doing over here by yourself?"

"Just watching Alex and his sister goofing off out front."

I felt her arms stiffen, and noticing how tense she had become, I turned around in her arms.  Wrapping my arms around her tiny waist.

"What's wrong love?"

"You are always busy now, with so little free time, and instead of spending it with me.  You would rather spend it looking at that skinny ugly girl.  You want her, don't you? DON'T YOU!", she screamed as me as she begin to try and violently wrench herself from my arms.

I watched as her beautiful face contorted in rage for the first time in five years, changing her into a stranger.  But just as quickly as it came, it faded.

"I am so sorry Damien.  I don't know what's wrong with me lately.  I feel like I am losing you!" I heard her say as she softly sobbed into her hands.

"I will always love you, forever.  Remember there is nothing you can say or do that will change that."

"Promise me again Damien.  Promise to never leave me."

"I promise, always and forever.  Just you."  I stated, but with less conviction then I had said before.

Pulling back from our embrace, I looked down and her.  Taking in her beauty once again, but it seemed a little less vibrant then I remembered.  Again, I contributed it to my guilt over Leilani.

"Heart, I need to head downstairs.  I have an important call I need to make in five minutes.  I promise after the call, I will come back up to you, and we can spend the rest of the day together.  Okay?"

"Damien, can't the call wait?  Can't you reschedule it?  I need you desperately right now.  Please?"

"I am sorry, but I can't.  I have to be there.  You know there is nothing more important than you are.  Right?"

"That phone call is obviously more important than I am right now."

I sighed to myself.  "I can not neglect my duties as Alpha, even for you, my heart."

"Fine, do whatever you want." I watched her stomp away, and heard the slamming of our bedroom door.

        I knew she was angry at the moment, but I didn't have the time to sort out our issues right then and there.  I would make it up to her later, and soothe her ruffled feathers.  I needed to make this call.  The lives of my pack members depending on it.  And no matter how much I loved Rachel, I needed to not only protect her, but everyone.

        I walked into my office, closed and locked the door.  I did not want to be interrupted during this call.  I needed the Elders to come, and this was my only chance to persuade them that our problem was dire.  If what Steven had said was all correct, then I had little time to act before the situation became uncontrollable.

        I sat at my desk, and powered on my laptop and opened the Skype application located on the desktop.  Waiting for the incoming call.  It felt like hours went by with nothing.  I could hear the ticking of the clock that was sitting atop the mantel of the first place.  Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick.  No other sound but its ticking.  I looked up at the clock and watched as the second hand moved in time with the ticking.   When the rhythmic melody began playing loudly from the speakers of my laptop indicating an incoming call, made me jump a bit from its unexpectedness.

        Fumbling around a bit, I answered the call when I saw three stately figures appear via web conference.  All with solemn looks upon their faces.

"Alpha Damien, I presume?"

"Yes, yes.  This is Alpha Damien of the Mountain Meadow Pack.  Thank you for taking the time to speak with me."

"Well, what is it that you wished to speaked to us so urgently about, Alpha?  Your pack doctor's request for a meeting left little information for us, other than to contact you and that it was a matter of life and death. "

        It was then, I begin relaying what had been happening over the past few years on my territory and the surrounding territories.  I told him of the many battles we had, told them what Steven had told me a few days ago in my office.  Explained to them that we had no solution to our problems.  We did not know what we are dealing with.  I explained the symbol Steven had found and showed them the drawing he had made of it.  I watched as their concern washed over their faces as my story went on.

"And you say, you have one being held as a captive right now in your prison?"

"Yes, yes, I do."

"Very well.  There are things we must research in our archives to find the answers for you.  But in the mean time, Elder Alec will be immediately leaving for your territory as soon as our call ends.  One of us needs to see this creature with our own eyes.  It will likely take him two days to arrive there.  Hopefully, we will be able to answer this mystery with our help.  Take care, Damien.  And be safe."

"Thank you, thank you." I stated, as I bowed to the three men on my screen.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Unknown POV]

        Two days wasn't enough time to do what I needed to do.  So much to do, so little time.  And I could still feel him calling to me...