[20]: Time Runs Out

[Damien's POV]

        My paws pounding into the ground, I jumped over fallen logs, pushing my wolf to go faster.  Her scent becoming stronger the further I ran.  That is when I saw the trees thinning out, and noticed a meadow and twinkling light coming from it.  I was close to her, I could see her.  I was within reach.  My wolf howled with joy.  Only fifty or so yards to go, before I could fix it all.  I could hold her in my arms.  Make her new promises.  Forge new memories.  Love her.  Kiss her.  Make love to her.  Watch her womb grow with our pups.  It was all within my grasps.  I had gotten to her before anything had happened to her.

        I didn't notice her arms reaching for the sky at first, and I didn't notice the blade.  It wasn't until I saw red pooling down her arms, that I realized something was wrong.  I was maybe ten yards away from her, when I saw it.  I saw her sink the blade of the knife into her chest.  A howl of anguish erupting from my throat.  Sliding to a halt beside her, I quickly shifted into my human form. 

"Leilani, stay with me. You can not leave me.  Please stay."

I watched as her eyes fluttered open for a brief moment, and she smiled.  Lifting her hand to my face, I heard her say in a small voice.

"I will love you for eternity.  I take a part of you with me."

        I lifted her limp body in my arms, and pulled her into me.  Cradling her and rocking back and forth.  Her arms hanging limply at her sides.  Her beautiful dress now stained with her own blood. As I rocked back and forth, I told her everything I wish I had said.  How much I loved her.  How beautiful she was.  How much I regretted wasting precious time with someone else.  Asking her to not leave me, even-though I knew it was too late. I had failed her.  I asked for her forgiveness.  I felt some of the warmth in her body began to dissipate.  I couldn't save her.  Couldn't change her fate.  I had lost her before I even had her.  It was all my fault, no matter what she said.  It was my blame that I would always carry with me.  Knowing that I would never love another, I knew I would live the rest of my life alone.  Rachel would have to find someone else, cause my heart was spoken for.  And I told her that, I told her my heart would and forever be owned by her.

        Cradling her body one last time, I gently placed her body back on the ground.  Kissing her forehead.  As the tears began to slide down my face as my grief took over.  Distraught with grief,  and not understanding my own actions.  I laid her back down, and pulled the dagger from her body.  I just wanted to protect her from pain still, and the dagger would be causing her pain.  

        I placed my head in the crock of her neck, and I cried for the loss of my beautiful mate and my future.