Thaw

Maddox couldn't believe his luck.  Autumn Fleetwood, the girl who made his heart do somersaults, was sitting in his Ford Escape.  Staring out the window, the auburn-haired spitfire fisted her jean-clad thighs. He wished he could snap a picture to document the turn of events.

When she gave no reply to his invitation for dinner, he thought to cut his losses. The car engine running, he turned the steering wheel to pull away from the curb but couldn't bring himself to leave.

Leaning over the console, he peered out the passenger window when he saw her backtrack and turn tail off the brick steps spooked.

Whatever happened that made her change her mind, he was grateful. He gazed heavenward. Someone up there was looking out for him.

Stopped at a traffic light, he stole a glance at her. Reclining in the seat, she had a dreamy, faraway look in her eyes. What had her mind so occupied?

A honk of a horn behind him brought his attention back on the road. 

Shifting in the seat, she flicked her gaze towards him. His heart leaped. "So um," he said. The words stuck in his throat struck at the golden flecks in her irises, resembling a sunflower.  Her skin had a sweet fragrance like wood mixed with fruit.  

"W-Where would you like to eat?" he said, intoxicated by the scent.  Her eyebrows pinged as though she couldn't believe he would ask such a trivial question. "It doesn't matter," she said after a lengthy pause.

Bypassing the better known fast-food joints, he pulled the Ford Escape into the parking lot of a mom and pop dive. Glimpsing her perplexed stare, he said, "You said it didn't matter."

She responded with a look that he deciphered as irritation.

She opened the door to climb out. He jumped out of the driver's side to assist her.  She waved him off.  He sighed.

Clicking the lock, he shoved his keys inside his pants pocket as they trekked across the blacktop pavement in silence.

In the doorstep of the dimly lit establishment, loud Blue Grass country music assaulted their eardrums as the two stood shoulder to shoulder. Conscious of their proximity, Autumn took a step away from him to widen the space between them.

A youthful faced waiter with cinnamon-brown hair greeted them dressed in a white button-down shirt, the sleeves rolled, black dress pants, and a pinstripe apron wrapped around his waist. "Table or booth?" he said.

The twosome glanced at each other. "Booth," they said in unison. He led them across a rich wool asymmetric carpet—the fabric so soft that their shoes sunk into it—-to a cozy dark wood booth with drooping string lights aloft.

Autumn gulped. The intimate setting made her feel uncomfortable. It felt like they were on a date.

Maddox slid into the seat. Autumn sat opposite of him, warily. The waiter set the menus on the table.

"Thank you," Maddox said. "What drink will you have?" The waiter said, reaching in his apron pocket for an order pad. "I'll have a Sprite," Maddox said. "Just water," Autumn replied.

"What's your special today, Tanner?" Maddox said, eyeing the waiter's name badge. "Chicken Parmesan with tomato sauce," the waiter replied. Maddox glimpsed Autumn flipping the menu over. "We'll need a few minutes," he said. "I'll be back with your drinks," the waiter said.

A glint catching his eye, Maddox craned his neck to look at the vintage kitchen utensils decorating the wall. He marveled at the rusted tin metal coffee pot. This was just the conversation breaker he needed to get Autumn to loosen up.

Excited to tell her of his exploration, he clammed up when he saw the fury in her eyes.

"You don't have to speak for me," she said. "I wasn't," he stammered. She grabbed her handbag. "I need to make a phone call," she said, sliding out of the seat.

Swallowing the lump lodged in his throat, he nodded. This was not going well at all.

"I'll be right back," she said, striding away. He watched her stop the waiter, on his way to their table, to ask where the restrooms were.

A minute later, she disappeared from his sight.

Locking herself inside the bathroom, Autumn took in the surroundings. The space in the bathroom was narrow with a single toilet, a ceramic sink, and checkered wallpaper. To her surprise, the bathroom was spotless, with no filth on the floor or other unpleasant sights she has seen often in fast-food restaurants.

Leaning back on the luminous sink, she dialed the house number.

After the third ring, someone picked up. "Hello?" her mother said out of breath. Remembering what she overheard, a blush bloomed on her cheeks. Autumn knew about the birds and the bees. She has seen her parents show affection for one another. However, hearing their amorous activity, albeit inadvertently, shaved a year off her life.

"Hi, Mom," she said, her face heated. "Autumn," her mother said, her voice serene and relaxed. "I was just getting dinner ready. Your dad went to pick up your brother from school. He said that you had detention."

"Yeah," Autumn replied. "It was because I was tardy. I have to set my alarm clock early."

"Where are you? It sounds like you're in a tunnel?" 

"I'm with..." Autumn scratched her head. What could she call Maddox? They weren't friends or acquaintances.

"I'm helping a classmate with homework," she lied. "We're studying in the library."

After a beat of silence, her mother said, "Okay." Autumn felt a churning in her stomach, she hated lying to her mother. "Well, I got to go now. I'll see you soon."

"Be careful," her mother blurted out. Autumn's internal radar went off. Did her mother know she was lying? "Okay, I'll be careful. Bye," she said, ending the call.

Facing her reflection in the mirror, she gathered herself, smoothing the stray hairs back inside her loose ponytail. Turning on the faucet, she washed her hands.

Maddox took a sip of his beverage when Autumn returned to the booth, her eyebrows creased. Something bothered her. He didn't know if he should pry. He picked up the menu when he heard a whisper. "Sorry."

He set the menu down. "Did you say something?" 

She cleared her throat. "I said sorry." 

"For what?" he said.  

"For being bitchy," she said. "I have a lot on my mind." His gaze softened. She offered an olive branch. "It's okay," he said.

The waiter returned. "Are you ready to order?" 

"I'll have the special," Maddox said. "Ditto," Autumn replied.

Handing their menus to the waiter, Maddox leaned on his elbows and stared at the captivating girl who made his legs turn to jelly. Did she know just how beautiful she is? 

To his surprise, she smiled back though subdued. Goosebumps rose on his arms, concealed thankfully by his cotton sweatshirt. "Small steps," he thought.