Building Blocks

"Autumn, wake up."

Groaning, Autumn turned away from the annoying voice. "No," she murmured. "I just want to sleep."

She felt a tap on her cheek.

She swatted it away.

A boyish laugh infused the quiet space.

"Wake up, sleepyhead."

She flicked an eyelid open.

Maddox leaned over her, a sheepish smirk on his face.

"About time you opened those beautiful eyes," he said. "I thought I'd have to kiss you like Sleeping Beauty." He flashed his pearly whites, his emerald eyes alight. He looked otherworldly.

Autumn fisted the hospital bed sheet, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "Maddox, you're—-"

He held out his hand. "C'mon, we're running late."

She took his hand, her heart hammering in her chest. "Where are we going?"

He bit his lip, his eyes piercing her as though he could see down into her soul. "To our special place. You know the one."

Climbing out of bed, Autumn shivered, the chill from the air-conditioned room wafting through the cotton hospital gown hanging on her petite frame.

Maddox wrapped a fleece hoodie around her shoulder. "This will keep you warm," he said. Goosebumps rose on her skin as his fingers brushed against the nape of her neck while withdrawing his hand.

She fingered her hair. "I'm glad you're here with me."

Wistful, Maddox took in the sight of her savoring the moment. Her amber eyes, the golden fleck of her irises, the curve of her lips, the floral scent of her perfume.

"Maddox?"

The first light of the sunrise broke through the hospital room window. Illuminated in the light, Maddox appeared angelic with a halo.  Her mouth parted, chills danced over Autumn's skin.

He stepped in front of her, bridging the space between them. "We don't have much time," he said.

Autumn pursed her lips, afraid to speak the thoughts plaguing her mind for fear of breaking the spell.

Leaving the hospital without incident, they arrived at the recreational park in a matter of minutes. The grass and leaves in the trees were a deeper green than Autumn remembered. Even the cloudless sky was a vibrant azure blue. Autumn felt as though she had stepped into a watercolor painting come to life.

Tugging her hand, Maddox urged her on.

They trekked up the path leading to the creek in silence. Maddox picked up the pace, urgency in his steps, while Autumn lagged. The closer they neared the creek, the more her anxiety grew. Not even the swooshing of the water could calm her nerves.

"We're here," Maddox said his eyes lingering on her, voice choked with emotion.

Autumn's eye smarted. She couldn't brush off the dread she felt. She wasn't ready for real life to encroach on her fantasy. She wanted more time. She directed her gaze towards the creek.

"Autumn, look at me," Maddox said, his voice washing over her like a warm caress.

She obliged. Their eyes locked on each other.

"So, what was it you wanted to tell me?" she said, trepidation edged her voice.

His eyes twinkled. How she loved those eyes. "I wanted to dance with you," he said. "We never got the chance the night of the dance."