Temptation

For the first time in ages, Autumn awoke before the alarm clock went off. Though awake for most of the night before finally dozing off for a couple of hours, she didn't feel tired.

Showered, she dressed and pulled her damp locks up into a topknot leaving a few face-framing wisps in the front.

Humming a Beatles tune, she bounded down the steps towards the kitchen when she overheard her parent's muted voices in the kitchen. Setting her purse and book bag down by the retro chair, she crept towards the entrance and listened in on the serious conversation.

"The bank charged the account an overdraft fee?" Abby said, the pitch in her voice rising. "How is that possible? I thought there was enough to hold us over until the end of the month."

"There was until the automated payment for the family plan cut into the funds," Ashton said agitatedly.

Autumn peeked into the kitchen. Her head bowed her mother's face was a portrait of utter dejection. His back to her and shoulders slouched, Autumn had a clear indication of her father's mood.

"I can't believe this," Abby sighed. Ashton grabbed her hands, folding his over hers.

"It'll be okay," he said. "I'll ask the boss for overtime hours."

Lifting her head, Abby mustered a smile. "I saw an advertisement for working from home.  I'll look into it."

Giving his hand an extra squeeze, she let go and opened the refrigerator door. "I'd better get started with breakfast," she said sniffling.

Autumn backed away before her parents noticed her presence.

If ever there was a time that she wished that money grew on trees, this was it. She pondered what she could do to help ease her parents' stress. An idea sprung in her mind. Maybe I can raise money on GoFundMe.

Taking a breath, she marched into the kitchen as though she hadn't a care in the world. To her chagrin, she had learned from her parents how to act like everything is fine when it isn't.

"Morning, mom and dad," she said too cheerily for her liking. "Morning, Autumn," Abby said, smiling. It didn't reach her puffy eyes. "I'm just starting with the eggs. How do you want them?"

"Over easy," Autumn replied. She glimpsed her father sitting at the table; his scraggly eyebrows scrunched as though deep in thought. Picking up his coffee mug, he took a sip.

She balled her fist.  Why were her family treated like the cosmos plaything? No matter how hard they try, they can never catch a break. Just once, she wished she knew how it felt to have financial stability without fear of when the other shoe will drop.

Her mother set the plate on the table with a clang, the eggs jiggled. Autumn plopped into the chair, picked up the fork, and forced herself to eat though she had lost her appetite.

She took a swig of orange juice. The taste was tart. Swallowing it while trying not to gag, she pushed herself away from the table and stood.

"Ready?" Ashton said, his voice flat without the usual cheerfulness.

Autumn nodded. "Yeah," she replied. "I'm just going to go grab my jacket."

"You won't need a jacket today," he said. "The temperature will be sixty-seven degrees."

"Okay," Autumn said. They headed out to the living room.  Grabbing her purse and book bag, she slung them on her shoulder.

"I'll be back in a few," Ashton yelled, walking out the door. "Okay, honey," Abby replied, her voice vibrating off the walls.

Shutting the door, Autumn sprinted down the steps to catch up with her father when she heard him shout, "I can't fucking believe it!"

For her father, who rarely curses, to utter an expletive, Autumn knew something, besides their money woes, had him riled up. She darted across the worn path to the family car and gasped.

Each tire on the vehicle was flat.

"Someone slashed the tires," Ashton said, trembling. He took off his glasses and rubbed his tear-stained eyes. "I'm sorry, Autumn," he said, his voice quivering. "There's only one spare tire and...."

"It's okay, Dad," Autumn said, fighting back the tears. "I can take the bus."

He opened his mouth to speak. No words came out.

"It's okay," Autumn said. He nodded. The anguish on his face ate her up inside. She adjusted her book bag and purse strap on her shoulder. "See you later," she said.

Her heart heavy, she forced herself to walk away. Once she walked a distance, she allowed herself a moment to release the tears building up inside of her.

Swiping her eyes, she shrieked mortified. The school bus she needed had just left the stop. "Wait!" she yelled, running. It was to no avail.

Despite her effort to beat the alarm clock, circumstances beyond her control would make her late for class again. Her happy mood soured, she felt an inclination to turn around and walk back home. What else could go wrong today?

A horn honking incessantly irritated her. "Fuck off," she muttered.

The honking persisted, she ignored it.

"Autumn!" 

She halted. She knew that voice. She turned. Maddox waved at her from inside his Ford Escape. "Get in," he said. Opening the door, she climbed inside. "Thanks," she said, winded.

"No problem," he said, grinning as though he had won the lottery.

She regarded the prankster. Maddox had a thing for her. She knew it from the way she always caught him staring at her with heart eyes. She also knew that he comes from a well-to-do family. She never saw him wear the same clothes twice. He drives a new car. A few hundred dollars is but pocket change for him.

She chewed her lip. If she encouraged his crush on her, she could have him wrapped around her finger. He'd be at her beck and call.

She recoiled at her devious thoughts. What was wrong with her? Here she was entertaining the thought of using Maddox for his money. Maybe she wasn't as good a person as she thought she was. She slumped in the seat.

"What's on your mind?" Maddox said. He offered her an opening. All she had to do was take it. Her heart drumming in her chest, she righted herself. "Maddox?"  

"Yeah?" he said eagerly.

She looked him in the eyes. 

He nodded expectantly, his eyes sparkling with anticipation. Shame filled her conscience. She couldn't do it. "It's nothing," she said.