Chapter 5

My hands spun the cup of coffee around the table slowly.

Jaden was late. Again.

Every Saturday morning we meet up at the cafe to have something to drink, or occasionally eat, and catch up on things that we haven't had time to talk about during the week.

The cafe door ringing bringing me out of my thoughts, I feel my body tense up and on high alert all the sudden. My eyes went straight to who just walked into the cafe, and it all made sense.

Shielding my face with the side of my hands, I prayed to the goddess that he wouldn't notice me.

But I never tend to have luck on my side.

As Ransom was ordering whatever he was getting, he looked around the cafe. His eyes stopped on me, and I inched down in my seat.

Pleasedontseemepleasedontseemepleasedontseemepleasedontseeme

He sat down in the booth seating across from me.

Fuck.

"You alright there?" He only looked amused.

Inwardly groaning, I take my hand away from my face and sit up straight.

"You know, when someone is trying to hide from another person in a restaurant, that isn't an invitation to sit by them." I take a sip of my iced coffee.

The corner of his lips tug at a smile again, and he watches me carefully.

"Why do you look at me like that?" I ask.

"You know, I've never been more intrigued by a person in my life. Surely, you would know why?" He tilts his head.

Uh yeah, the reason is that you're my mate. But you're human so you can't feel any sort of bond.

I shake my head. "I think that's just more of a you thing. I could care less about you."

He just chuckles, and puts his hand over his chest. "Ouch. That was more than brutally honest."

I roll my eyes and spin around my cup again.

He perks up as he hears his name being called, and he leaves me alone for just a moment to go and get his drink.

Much to my dismay, he's in no rush today and sits back down across from me.

"I never got a few answers to my questions, by the way." He leans back on the booth and sips at what looks like straight black coffee.

"Yeah well, don't ever think you're going to get those answers." I cross my arms and also lean back in the booth.

"Not even your name?" He bites his lip.

I pause, and then shake my head.

He just lightly scoffs, and his eyes make contact with mine.

"We started off on the wrong foot," he begins. "Let's start over, and pretend nothing has ever happened between us. I'm Ransom." He extends his hand out in front of me, probably to shake.

I debate on taking his hand, but then I feel my phone buzz. I snap out of the trance he sorta has me in, and reach down to pull out my phone from my pocket.

Jaden: hey, sorry. I won't be able to make it today. Reschedule for tomorrow?

I turn off my phone and sigh in annoyance.

"Date cancel on you?" Ransom retracts his hand.

"I don't think Jaden would be considered as a date." I put my phone back in my pocket.