Chapter 19

"So you're telling me, that you've been a beta to a pack this entire time? And now your alpha has found you and is trying to get you to go back?" Jaden leans forward on where he's sitting on his couch.

"For the fifth time, that's exactly what I'm telling you." I roll my eyes at his ridiculousness.

"Hey! Don't let your secretive ass get annoyed with me. I had no fucking idea you were a beta." He accuses.

"That's the point. You weren't supposed to know because I was never going to go back." I shrug.

"Well if you weren't going to go back, why are you making such a big deal about it and telling me? You're not actually considering it, are you?" Jaden narrows his brown eyes.

I stay silent, and a guilty feeling washes over me. Maybe I actually am considering it.

"Holy shit. You want to go back."

"No! I don't want to. Well, I don't know. I'm not sure. I'm just really confused with everything at the moment." I feel my leg start to anxiously bounce again.

Jaden stays silent and studies me for a moment. He nonchalantly leans back in the couch.

"Listen, as much as you're confused and actually considering this, this is my piece of advice. Don't go. You're still trying to cope with your miscarriage-"

I attempt to interrupt and deny that, but he holds up a finger, shushing me and letting him continue on.

"You're figuring out a new relationship with a new mate, you're just barely starting to finally open up about your past to me and Berkeley, and last but not least, and I don't mean this in a rude way, but you don't have your wolf. You can't be a beta to a pack when you have no wolf."

I look down frustrated because, as much as I hate to admit, he's so right.

"A thought crossed my mind the other day that maybe if I go back and try again, maybe my wolf will come back." I admit quietly.

Jaden takes a deep breath, and I don't look at him because I don't want to see any look or form of pity he has to offer. "But that's just my advice. I'm not telling you what to do, but you need to think about those factors as well."

I nod. "If I choose to go, would you and Berkeley come with me?"

Jaden goes silent, before ultimately shrugging. "It's not that simple Kyle. I can't just pack up everything and leave to go to a pack that me and Berkeley might not be even accepted in."

"Sorry. I know it's too much to ask."

Jaden phone goes off, making the tension in the room very apparent. He reaches for his phone on the coffee table to answer it.

"What's up?"

Silence.

"Are you shitting me?"

More silence. I feel my body grow with concern.

"Alright, I'll be there in five." He hangs up the call.

"What's going on?" I ask Jaden as he stands up from the couch to put on his shoes.

"Ransom is being an idiot again." Is all he explains.

"Ransom? Idiot? Wha...I'm coming with you." I stand up.

Jaden turns around quickly and holds out a hand to stop me. "Hell no. I don't recommend it."

"Why not? He's my mate, after all? You can't keep things like this from me. I'm going to find out sooner or later." I cross my arms over my chest.

"Better later than sooner." He mumbles.