Chapter 10

My eyes scanned around the lake carefully, the bright sunlight bouncing off the smooth, cool water and making the sight at least ten times more beautiful then when you saw it at night.

I took a deep breath of fresh air, and closed my eyes. Everything was so serene and peaceful at this very moment.

I feel a familiar hand rest on my wrist, and I open my eyes and look down on the persons hand.

My eyes travel up, and his blue eyes stare right back into mine. They are calm, pain free. The first time I've seen that in many, many years. Even when I tried to imagine it.

"Hey." He smiles softly at me, and I practically want to cry at hearing his voice so clearly.

I quickly pull him into my lap, and wrap my one of my arms around his waist, the other going through his blonde hair. My head is buried in his neck, my nose barely skimming over his mark.

"How are you?" He continues, wrapping his arms around me as well.

"I miss you so much. I'm so sorry." I practically plead for forgiveness.

He takes his hands and gently moves my head away from him, so I'm looking into his bright blue eyes again.

"Kyle, please don't hurt yourself over me." He says seriously.

I scan his face for any signs of dishonesty in his tone or expression, but I found none.

"But it's my fault." I swallow the lump forming in my throat. It's to hard to admit that he died right in front of him.

"What is your fault?" He tilts his head in confusion.

I close my eyes, shaking my head. I can't admit it to him. Not that it was because of me that he died the way he did. How I wasn't more patient with him, and my last words to him before he was brutally murdered.

I feel something wet trickle down onto my hands. My eyes snap open, and I almost scream when his throat is slowly turning scarlet in front of me.

"No! No you cant fucking do this to me!" I shout, and try to apply pressure to his throat.

My attempts are futile though. They always are. The wound just gets worse, the red grows darker and larger, the energy leaves his body.

I lay him down and hover over him carefully, frantically still trying to save whatever I have left of him.

I feel a small hand on my wrist, and I turn around to see who it is, because it's surely not my dying mate.

But the person is gone.

———

I jerk awake, my chest heaving for air.

I frantically look around the dark room, my eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness.

I attempt to fully sit up, knowing I would not be able to fall asleep after a nightmare again. But I feel a heavy arm around my waist that keeps me from sitting up properly.

My eyes widen. Memories quickly flood back into my mind. After all, I didn't get too wasted.

I carefully turn around, and bite my lip when I see Ransoms sleeping face behind me. My back was previously pressed against his bare chest, and our legs were entwined.

I look down at myself, and internally groan when I see I am also shirtless.

I carefully move Ransoms arm from around my waist, slipping out of the bed quietly.

I mentally scold myself as it hurts to bend down to pick up my boxers. Still tender down there. Fuck. But nonetheless, I continue to quietly dress myself and make my way out of his bedroom before I can have a full blown anxiety attack to wake him up.