Part 1 "Stan's application"

Hello Philippines, Hello Manila, Hello Makati!

My name is Stan I am a 27-year-old Dutch guy and I work as a business consultant for a large consultancy firm, my specialities are Finance and Accounting. I work out 3 times a week in the gym and like to have a good time in the week end.

I guess I am the 'work hard – play hard' type.

I have been single for 6 months now after my girlfriend decided to leave me for my best friend.

To get over my pain I grabbed the opportunity to participate in a rotation program offered by my company, I will be spending 9 months in the Manila office this year.

Some colleagues in the Manila office who are helping me to find accommodation told me that they heard about the Manila Transfer. I had no idea what the Manila Transfer is until I received the following information in my email.

"Dear Stan,

Thank you for showing interest into the Manila Transfer.

The Manila Transfer is a shared house in which 3 boys and 3 girls live together. The accommodation has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. There is one Boys Room, one Girls Room and a Guest Room.

You will have a shared bank account and contribute equal amounts for rent, electricity, water and to buy cleaning supplies. Also, you will have to share a minimum of 3 dinners a week together.

The fundamental rule to participate in the Makati Transfer is that you write down what you want to achieve or learn from your housemates, if you think you have achieved it then it's time to move out.

In other words, the duration of your stay will be determined how fast you achieve your goal.

If you decide to be considered for a spot on the Makati Transfer, please return attached application form

Greetings,

The Boss"

When I thought about this I realised that this is a very different style of living, I had not shared a room since my childhood. But it would provide me with 2 key positives. Firstly, since I don't know anyone in Manila it's an excellent opportunity to meet people and secondly given my office is in Makati it might work out great in terms of commuting to and from work.

Also, if for some reason it doesn't work out then I am sure that I will be able to find different accommodation in Makati,

I thought about this for a week before I replied asking if I could participate. I filled in the application form and stopped at the last question:

"Question 34: What do you want to achieve or learn from your housemates in the Makati Transfer."

How honest could I be? I thought long and hard before writing down:

"My heart is broken, I want to be able to love again"

To my surprise I got a reply email 6 hours later: "Welcome Stan, you are accepted in the Makati Transfer" the title said.

It was a long email with the description of the house, the address, what would be supplied and what I needed to bring.

I will be flying to Manila soon, I am excited to see where I will be living and who I will be living with.

Please follow me as I get to know my room mates, the city, the lifestyle and hopefully achieve my goal....to be able to love again.

Talk soon,

Stan.