Part 20 "The puzzle comes together"

Jin smiled and said "Overwhelmed?"

It felt as if the floor had collapsed beneath me after Dan's confession but as Jin unexpectedly stood Infront of me I felt that my body floated to heaven.

I rarely had felt this range of emotions in such a short time before.

Jin waived to one of the waiters and ordered two beers.

"Lets's sit down Stan"

"Trust me I was as shocked as you when I found out about Dan" Jin said

I looked at Jin and heard her speaking but all I saw was my future reflecting in her eyes.

I was so confident that my goal was reached. After a horrible break up with my ex and short fling with Daisy I knew that what I felt for Jin was in fact love. But I had no idea if she felt the same way about me.

"Hang on Jin, how in heavens name did you get here?" I responded

Jin smiled and looked in my eyes.

"Let me explain what happened 2 days ago" Jin said

"I received a letter from the Makati Transfer, it thanked me for my participation and contribution. I explained the real truth of how our goals were met"

I frowned and was keen to understand more.

"The letter was written by Dan. It almost read as an apology for not being honest about his true motives. But reading the letter I suddenly understood that it was Dan who had spent long conversations with Micky to get him comfortable enough to embrace his sexuality. The club I sing in is owned by one of Dan's business partners, it is this club that gave me a break. It was Dan who planted a seed in your head to help me with your public speaking experience. Dan had lined up a job for Jean, but you were to quick to help her. Dan then made sure he helped her prepare for her interview as much as he could. Even more it was Dan who told Daisy to distance herself from you and pulled some strings with another friend to give her a model opportunity"

I listened to Jin and I fell from one amazement into another.

"That's not the whole story though" Jin said

"Dan's parents died 5 years ago in a joined suicide"

"What?!" I stumbled

"Dan inherited a lot of money and made a decision to help people. The Makati Transfer is his brainchild. It sounds bizarre but I think we all agree that his formula worked for all of us. We all loved the experience and have made friends for life"

I suddenly remembered all the little details, all the comments and at time evasive behaviour of Dan"

Jin continued; "Dan also told me that I can help you reach your goal and that's why I am here. He flew me to Cebu to share a meal with you You are dear to me Stan"

I struggled to keep my emotions under control.

"Jin" I said

"My goal was simple but at the same time very hard. After my break-up with my ex gf I wanted to be able to love again. I went through a dark period after I found out that she cheated on me behind my back"

I stopped for a second and took a sip from my beer.

"My feelings have developed in the last 4 weeks and I can now say that my heart is healed and open for the girl I love"

I looked at Jin.

"The girl I love has been right in front of me the last 3 months, I slowly discovered more and more about her. Then lightning struck and I fell head over heels"

I gathered all my confidence and looked at Jin.

"Mahal Kita Jin"

Jin looked at me and said with a soft voice. "Stan ik hou van jou" [I love you in my language]

We stood up and hugged each other.

A tear was rolling over my left cheek and I felt that Jin was softly crying too.

I held her tight and as I was looking outside the window, I saw the silhouette of a man standing 50 meters away looking towards us. He waived his hand and raised his thumb.

It was Dan.

My admiration for Dan had grown, I suddenly realised that his perceived arrogance was most likely his survival mechanism, he was in fact a good Samaritan with a very troubled background.

I gave him a thumbs up, he smiled and walked away.

Dan had pre-ordered a 6-course meal which we enjoyed in the next 2.5 hours. It was great to spend time with Jin and we connected on a level only partner can. Jin had become my best friend, my love and my future"

After dessert Jin laughed and said "You do realise that given you have achieved your goal tonight you are now technically homeless as you are officially evicted from the Makati Transfer"

I had not put any thought into this and said "I probably book a hotel for a week to buy some time looking for a new room somewhere in Makati"

We had 2 more drinks and decided to leave the restaurant.

Jin looked at me and said "Do you want to come to my hotel?"