Chapter Fourteen

Draco had felt the carefully prodding fingers of the Gryffindor Princess, in fact, he'd been very much aware of her since she had arrived next to the table he had been studying at prior Kagome's departure. Why had he not stopped Kagome from leaving? Easy...she wasn't really his responsibility. Yes, if she was in trouble, he was more than ready and even willing to help her, but she was Blaise's responsibility. Not that he didn't want to protect her himself, he just felt that she'd never gain a backbone if everyone was always babying her. As for the auburn haired Gryffindor beside him, the very one who he'd felt arrive, and painstakingly...had tried to ignore...

The same auburn haired Gryffindor who'd not only punched him in their third year, but had also called him Malfoy since year one...the very same auburn haired Gryffindor whose hand was clutched firmly in his hand, after he'd responded to her calling his name...his name...and in his shock, he'd caught her hand to avoid anymore torment to his shoulder.

Clearing his head, he released her hand and ran his now free hand through his hair. "Was there something you wanted, Hermione?"

She blushed, her cheeks lit up profusely at the sound of her name dancing past his lips. She found herself scared to speak. She didn't know what to say, so she resorted to silence, and instead, she pointed to the book on the table.

A smirk found his lips and he took up the book he'd been using as a pillow only mere minutes ago. Standing, he stepped closer to her, tapping the book repetitively against his shoulder as he did. Each carefully placed step towards Hermione, had her taking a nervous step back, until the corner of a bookcase had her cornered and unable to find a safe haven from his hauntingly seductive blue eyes. Fourteen years old, maybe fifteen...and his eyes were enough to make her knees buckle. Oh...they really were... Hermione felt her legs go weak, her cheeks still tinged with the rush of emotions she was feeling, and finally, with her back stable against the bookcase, she let herself slide down until her legs were flat to the ground. No more strength left in them to keep her standing tall.

"What happened, I thought you were the brave and chivalrous...nerves of steel and such rubbish...yet, here we are. A cowering kitten shrinking away from it's tormentor, and a coiling snake...preparing for the bite..." He kneeled down on one knee in front of her, holding out the book, he took her hand and guided it to the book, eyes never leaving hers. Finally, after she had a firm, yet nervous grip on the book she'd been after, he released her hand and stood. Towering her much smaller form before he turned and left her staring after him in uncertain curiosity. She couldn't even try to gather her thoughts, they had all left her well before he had.

-x-x-x-

Kagome silently made her way down the halls of the school, it seemed most people were outside today enjoying the sun.

Not her though, her mind still wandered to Blaise and sighed.

Making a left turn she descended down the stairwell that would lead her back to the dungeon.

As she silently went down another hall she heard someone calling out...pausing she turned and saw Professor McGonagall making her way briskly to her.

"Ah, Miss Higurashi! There you are." Professor McGonagall called out to her as she was about to turn another corner.

Blinking Kagome tilted her head not knowing why the Gryffindor head would be looking for her.

"Can I help you Professor?" Kagome inquired, head still tilted in wonder. She didn't really interact with the transfiguration Professor unless in class.

"..The Headmaster has requested you come see him..." McGonagall paused before giving the raven haired girl a strained smile, "If you would follow me..."

Kagome nodded, not knowing why the Headmaster would want to see her...maybe he wanted to talk to her about what happened with Cho.

Kagome silently followed the Professor, not really in the mood to make small talk as they made their way to the Headmasters office.

The feeling of dread made its way into Kagome making her feel skittish as they came closer and closer to the office.

Usually if she had this feeling, it mean something bad was going to happen. She hoped this time she was wrong.

As they got to the Gargoyle McGonagall stopped and said, "snickerdoodle" The Gargoyle jumped out of the way to show a passageway.

Following the Gryffindor Head of House, Kagome went through the passageway and into a big room that had a lot of questionable items and books.

"Ah! You have finally arrived." the voice of the headmaster brought her out of her thoughts.

Seeing the Professor and who was with him, Kagome made her face blank, standing as straight as possible.

There with the Headmaster was one of the last people she wanted to see in the school.

Cho Chang.