chapter 18

Lucius stared over the letter he’d received not long ago, then settled his eyes on the letter his son had sent not but a day before. There was a lot to take in, and the most unsavory of his thoughts fell to the young Ravenclaw being nearly strangled and poisoned by one of her upperclassmen. That had certainly been something of an eye-opener as far as school gossip went.

He’d told his son to inform him of any outstanding consequence regarding Hogwarts, Harry Potter, and the Headmaster. Blackmail was blackmail. Who was he to turn his nose up to it when it was so readily made available to him? The missive that lay from his son, was atop his dark brown snakewood desk. His neatly kept nails tapped thoughtfully against it as he reread it.

Father,

In recent days, a string of unstable actions from one of Hogwarts students, a Cho Chang, has landed one of Hogwarts underclassmen in the Hospital Ward. While this would normally pose of nil interest to me, I’ve been accosted by Cho once myself in a fit of her blind fury. Her attempt to attack the girl and no longer care for the lack of action on our Headmasters part. Such actions are as follow;

Violently attacking her fellow Ravenclaw, poisoning, and choking. Others under her following have made advances to cause this victimized Raven harm in the stead of Cho. While she’s received two months of detention for her assault on Kagome, she’s also been allowed to continue her education in Hogwarts without further consequence for her actions.

Father, Kagome isn’t safe from Cho’s assaults so long as she’s permitted to stay in Hogwarts. I can only do so much. As it stands, Blaise has enacted the old decree. Properly removing the younger girl’s tie, he publicly instigated the Slytherins’ protection and by giving her his tie, claimed responsibility for her. She is now situated in Slytherin Dorms, but Cho is still in School.

I am aware that this is not a matter of importance as far as the Malfoy family is concerned, but it’s important to me. Kagome has become ‘important’. You know, Father. You are most aware of it, the discrimination of Slytherin House. Had Cho been a Slytherin, she’d have been sent to a Magickal Restoration Center. As a Malfoy, I can protect Kagome as long as I am by her side, however, I am not always by her side. I’m sure you can see the problem without me continuing to regale you with the Headmaster’s poor decision making.

Your Son,

D.M.

As if that wasn’t enough to take in, the letter he currently held in his hand was from the Zabini heir, depicting a similarly distressing qualm concerning the same young lady. Now, as his son had aforementioned, this wasn’t what he’d deem an important matter, but, well, an opportunity had certainly come knocking. Trailing his eyes back over Zabini’s missive, he took note of the hastily scrawled script of the refined Zabini. There was worry and haste in his sharp lines and overly elaborate loops.

Mr. Malfoy,

I normally wouldn’t reach out to you for school matters such as this but considering the lack of action on our Headmasters part, there’s little choice. I bring to your attention, two matters of urgency.

The first is the attack on one, Kagome Higurashi by one Cho Chang. The latter has received two months of detention for attempted murder. She’s not stable and has shown as such in multiple outbursts that have ended in your son being struck by her and Kagome being nearly poisoned and choked to death.

The second concerns a greater matter of importance. The father of Kagome Higurashi was recently released from Azkaban and my sources have informed me that he’ll be seeking out his daughter for “retribution” on his incarceration. I am young, and therefore, can do little to protect this little bird.