twenty-three: niall

It was a little bit hard for both me and Harry when it was time to pitch the tent. The cloudy sky gave me chills and Harry feared it was about to rain, but as soon as we finished the task, no clouds were threatening us anymore, as the moon slowly started to show up in the sky above.

"Even when the night changes", he mutters right into my ears, making me shiver. "It will never change me and you."

"Why do you always say it when it's dark out? Don't you have any other references to tell me?" I try to make a whole joke about it, but he ends up fluttered by my words. "I'm kidding, babe. I love this reference."

"You almost killed me by disappointment!" 

"So dramatic of you to assume I hate One Direction songs, H." 

I roll my eyes, rubbing my feet on the makeshift rug before entering the tent. He follows my movement, and five seconds later we're changing clothes in front of each other.

"Do you feel... huh... comfortable?" He suddenly asks, and I raise one of my eyebrows in doubt. "With this."

"There's nothing in you that I haven't seen before", I shrug, raising my elbows to take off my green T-shirt, "I should be the one asking that 'cause I still don't know how the fuck you dare to say you love me the way I am."

"Some things don't need a full explanation."

"That's just your way to say you don't know why you love me too", I glance at him with a serious tone in my voice and a frozen facial expression. "Admit it."

Harry only blurts out a laugh, just like he always does when I'm probably right about an argument, and leans in closer to press his lips against mine. It's a soft kiss, and I don't mind it, not just because my family is waiting for us outside to have a proper dinner, but because it's all I was about to ask for if he hadn't came closer.

Things start to get heated when his hands find my hipbones and he pulls me closer and closer to him, his tongue invading my mouth with my own permission and my fingers getting tangled in his hair.

"Harry", I whisper between one and another messy kiss, "we gotta go."

"Do we?"

"Harold."

"Okay, we do", he gives up, turning away to get dressed on his own jacket.

☸☸☸☸

Once we get out of the tent, my dad and Greg are lighting (or at least trying to light) a campfire.

"You should help them", I tell Harry, poking his rib with my elbow. "Remember when Simon wanted us to bond in the beginning of the group and sent us to an isolated forest like this one?"

"A terrible idea, but the son of a bitch in fact got what he wanted", he completes my thoughts. "Am I right?"

"Absolutely. Now go and help them."

"Yes, daddy", he jokes, taking care to speak in a low voice to avoid getting anyone else's attention and, at the same time, turning me on in the process.

Fuck it, he's horny and so am I.

"I'll save it for later", I say back, gently patting his shoulders to make him go and help my dad with the fire.

"I hope so!" Harry screams, this time making Denise look at us with such an excitement in her face.

"What's up between you two?" She asks, once I come closer to take Theo in my arms and babble along with him a little bit. "It's like there are more than just one child on this trip."

"He's the child in the story, I can assure you that."

"I made a bet with Greg that you were more silly than Harry", my eyes go wide with this information. "Guess I have to let him sleep tonight if Theo cries sometime."

"You know what?" I look to Theo, then I turn to Denise again. "Let him think you won. Greg deserves a punishment for being so lazy sometimes."

"You're the best!" She grins.

"Best!" Theo screams too, and I blurt out a laugh that almost scares him, but in the end, he's babbling again.

"I'm so relieved he's doing his best to say anything now, Niall. He used to confuse everyone in the room without spelling a word and now we do everything he wants us to."

"Children... they grow up so fast and learn too much."

☸☸☸☸

Two hours later, we're all already done with the kind of rudimentary dinner I prepared with my mom for tonight.

"So...?" I whisper in Harry's left ear, resting my chin on his shoulder to do it. "Do I have a knack for the kitchen?"

"You have a knack for everything. Literally everything", he simply answers me, letting out a smirk on his pale lips.

"Wait, are you cold now?" I turn a bit to see his lips once again. "Shit, Haz, you're cold."

"Not too much. I can handle it for the rest of the night, Ni."

"I'll go to the tent to get a blanket for you, don't move." 

As soon as I say these words, I get up from the ground, picking up his favorite blanket and covering his body right afterwards.

"What's going on?" My dad asks, watching the situation in front of him.

"Harry is feeling cold", I answer him, my hands still caressing my boyfriend's back.

No. I'll never get tired of saying he's my boyfriend.

"And you took a blanket for him. So sweet of you", mom grins with some kind of pride in her face.

Of course I am the mama's boy here.