twenty-four: niall

A coy smile appears in Harry's lips when Greg ask us to sing something now. I can almost scream mentally to my brother 'i hate you to death', but the thought that he probably won't hear what my two bitchin' crazy neurons have to tell him calms me down before I do it.

If there is something Harry and I hate in common, this thing is singing to people who already know we're famous singers. Nothing personal, I must say - it's just the fact that we've been on the road for worldwide tours for almost a full decade, and now all we wanna do is take a rest. Something Greg Horan hasn't noticed yet.

"Stay here, I'll go get the guitar", I tell Harry in a low voice, getting up from the leaves on the ground again. 

Once I'm back, he plants a kiss on my cheek.

"Out of the blue?"

"Get used to this", he says, leaning his lips against my cheek once more. "Got an idea."

He takes the guitar from my hands, loosening up a little from the comfort of the blanket to manage to do it. Harry is soon playing the first notes of Justin Timberlake's "Pair of Wings".

No way. A hidden song from an album not everyone has heard yet but me and him. My boyfriend is a genius.

"If I had a pair of wings / I'd pick you up and fly you far away from here", Haz starts singing, his voice a bit cracked because of the cold wind against his soft skin. He only sings the second verse when I glance at him with a smile on my face. "And you'd put your worries upon my shoulders, my dear / Now I know I can't save you from the troubles of the world / And this sounds like such a silly thing / But if I could I'd fly you away / On a big old pair of wings."

I see Denise resting her head on Greg's left shoulder. I see mom and dad swaying their heads too. I see Theo sleeping in Denise's arms. And I see Harold. And I see my whole world in front of me.

"And we'd fly so high up in the sky / Where the stars are so clear / And then I could save you / From the troubles of the world", he keeps singing, his fingers moving through the strings of the guitar, his eyes focused on me the entire time. "And all you'd have to pack is your heart to bring / And there we are, you and me / Flying on a big old pair of wings."

I mumble an "I love you" to him, and he smiles back, muttering an "fuck it, I love you" two seconds later, while he's still finishing the notes from the first part of the song.

☸☸☸☸

"It's almost midnight, huh?" I hear Harry whisper to me when we are already lying on our respective mattresses inside the tent, ready to sleep.

"Yeah."

"It means you just won a right to ask a lullaby song."

"Since when is this a thing?" I turn my head to his side, narrowing my eyes at him while he has a smirk on his face.

"Since I figured out that I love you much", his answer is so simple and so silly that it makes me melt inside.

"Can I get used to this too, Haz?"

"Of course you do, cookie jar. Now ask me a song."

"Well, since it's about to be midnight..."

"Hum, I know a song." He interrupts me. "I know it was supposed to be your choice, but I just came up with something."

"I'm listening."

Harry clears his throat before he starts singing the verses of a song that I don't know.

"In the darkness before the dawn / In the swirling of the storm / When I'm rolling with the punches and hope is gone / Leave a light, a light on", he gracefully sings, his head resting on his right arm, while his left hand draws imaginary circles on my cheeks, just the type of silly stuff we do since the beginning of this unusual love story.

I could easily write a movie about us and Netflix would buy its rights. I feel it.

"Millions of miles from home / In the swirling swimming on / When I'm rolling with the thunder / But bleed from thorns / Leave a light, a light on", he keeps going, his lips still forming a shy smirk in every verse.

"Beautiful."

"It's a Coldplay song only five people in the world have acknowledge", he comments, and I narrow my eyes at him again.

"What? A Coldplay song?"

"Yeah. A Coldplay song."

"You are, literally, a pop culture Wikipedia." Harry laughs at my words.

"No, I'm not. I just listen to good music."

"Now you say that!"

We joke with each other for a few more minutes, until I start feeling as sleepy as him. He soon brings my head to his chest, allowing me to sleep with his heartbeat echoing in my ear, his breath slowly coming in sync with mine, his fingers playing with my hair while he sings a few lullabies.

And I swear it's the most heavenly night of my life.