thirty-one: niall

"The sling on your foot for the next two weeks. So it was... that?"

When Harry nods as a "yes", I can almost feel what he feels by saying that without even a touch, without even a word right after he nods. I try to bring his body even closer to mine, just to let him know that I'm here for him. I can't believe I wasn't there when all those things happened to him. 

"I wish I was there, Haz."

"There was no way you could know what was going on, babe", he says, and I know he's just trying to be nice about the situation.

"No, you don't understand", my fingers start caressing his back, "you don't understand how bad I feel for not being there, Harry. You were in such a heavy pain, and literally, the only reason that made me not get involved in between your relationship with Louis was because I didn't want to ruin what you called 'happiness'. I made myself feel happy because you said you were happy, but deep inside, I was broken."

"Niall, you literally did not allow Louis to step into our shared bedroom for the whole time I had the sling on my foot", a weak laugh is heard from Harry's mouth, "don't you remember? He was fucking pissed off because of that, but he couldn't do anything because I didn't tell anyone the reason why I almost broke my foot."

"And so he stood away for a while."

"And so he stood away for a while. But it wasn't enough, of course", I feel the aura of the conversation going back to its dark roots. "He saw how good I was when around you, and started cursing me every day for not loving him with my entire existence, or something like that. He even thought I was cheating on him with you in a certain point."

"What?" I can't stop myself from letting out a scream. "Sorry. Didn't want to interrupt you."

"You're not. I was shocked that he could believe we were together when it was, in fact, what I wanted at the time."

"Dork."

"Shut up, I was trying not to love you at that time, but it was impossible. You were so adorable, and I was in such a bad situation with Louis, I was completely out of love with him, but I couldn't do anything to get out. I'm sorry."

"No, Harry, please, don't", I literally jump out of the couch, getting on my knees in front of him and holding his hands under mine. "Please. You were the victim. You should never, ever, take the blame for something you didn't do. If Louis was so threatening and you felt like you had no choice but to stay with him, there's no other argument. You know what it was, right?"

He looks at me like he knows the answer, but the words won't ever come out of his mouth.

"I ended things with Louis in the moment I realized we would break up sooner or later, because of the hiatus of the band. And because I knew he didn't want to be with me either. And because I wanted to, at least, kiss you before we went on separate ways."

"A thing that did not happen."

"Yeah. I had the guts to break up with that shitty man, but didn't have courage to talk to you about that", he slightly shrugs, letting his head rest on the arm of the couch. "I'm sorry."

"I told you to not be sorry, Harold."

"I wish I couldn't admit when I'm sorry."

"Then you'd be an arrogant son of a bitch", I roll my eyes, making him laugh again.

"Well, guess I should take notes of that and put it into a song someday."

"Yeah, you should."

"I love you, Niall."

"I love you, Harry."

☸☸☸☸

The sun is already up outside my hotel bedroom, and there's no other option for me but to get up and live this day. Harry and I decided to sleep in separate rooms so people won't start talking about it for the moment, and there's an unwritten rule between us about only coming out to the world when we're both ready.

After taking a quick bath and changing my clothes, I take my phone in my hands so I can text him a bit.

Message from Niall

Can I sneak into your room?

Message from Harry

Wow wow wow

Niall Horan breaking rules?

Message from Niall

I literally took a 12-hour plane to SEE YOU

And I'm NOT looking at you

Can you BELIEVE?

Message from Harry

Door is open

Without thinking a lot about it, like the other times I was in doubt about breaking a rule for Harry Styles, I go to his bedroom, being careful so no one else would see me on the way.

Once I enter the room, he's not there to be found.

"Harold?"

"Bathroom!" He screams, and I walk in slow steps to where he is.

I almost faint when I see his body in full. No clothes. No make up to hide new tattoos he may have had in the last couple of weeks. His hair is a mess. All kinds of hair.

"Harry!" I shout to him, closing my eyes in the following seconds. "What are you doing?!"

"Going to take a bath, duh. What else would I do?"

"You could ask me to wait in the bed!"

"Wouldn't be so funny", I feel Harry's fingers touching my neck, and I open my eyes.

Now his face is very close to mine, and he kisses the top of my head before his lips meet mine, in a very long, so awaited, fucking messy kiss.

"Come with me?" He asks, and my eyes open wide with his question. "Happy nine months, babe."

"Fuck. Guess I gotta go."