Tournament Preperations S1 E2

💚 Edited-11.6.2020 💚
I am so excited! There's a tournament at our castle and loads of knights from all around Camelot are coming to participate. However, I must say, I am worried that my father is going to try and get me to marry the winner. So, for the sake of my future, I really hope Arthur wins. Obviously if Arthur wins I can't marry him, I mean, well that's just incest! So, if he wins I'm free to be a single Pringle for a little while longer.

I was sat outside, with a sketchbook, watching Arthur and Merlin prepare for tomorrow. I looked over to see how Merlin was doing with preparing the weapons and well, let's just say it was anything but graceful.

Arthur spun round to look at me, clearly astounded at Merlins lack of knowledge for this sort of thing. I just gave a small smile back but shook my head to tell him to behave.

I have grown quite fond of Merlin. He's been trying to help me figure out what happened to my eyes, but we've had no luck yet. By now everyone in the lower village knows and at first people were hesitant to look at me but now they're fine.

"Ready?" Arthur's voice said, bringing me out of my trance.

"Would it make any difference if I said I wasn't?" Merlin asked, petrified of fighting with a sword.

Arthur gave a little twirl and replied, "not really."

They got into fighting positions so I turned back to my sketchbook to carry on with my drawing.

I all of a sudden heard a thump on the ground and looked up to see Merlin laying on the floor holding his head.

I quickly got up and went over.

"Arthur, really?" I asked crouching down to look in Merlin's eyes and make sure he wasn't concussed.

"I need to be prepared for tomorrow. I know about father's plan to marry you off to the winner, so if I win, you can't be married off," Arthur explained.

"Yes, that's fair enough. But be careful when you're practicing because let me guess," I said turning back to Merlin. "You've never fought with a sword."

He shook his head no.

"Is it done?" He asked Arthur.

"That was just the warm up. How's your mace work coming along?"

I went to say something but Merlin rose to his feet slowly and prepared to fight.

"Off you trot Chelsea," Arthur said smirking.

As I walked past, as he'd chosen not to wear a helmet, I whacked him round the back of the head then walked away smiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An hour later, Merlin was completely shattered and Arthur was beginning to look bored.

"Arthur! Why don't we call it a day? I mean, you're both tired and you need to have your energy for tomorrow," I said to Arthur, heading over to them.

"I guess so, good work today, Merlin. I shall see you tomorrow for some more practice," Arthur said, walking away.

"Thank you," Merlin muttered to me once Arthur was gone.

"No problem. You may need to go rest up. I may have been able to stop him for now but he's gonna be worse tomorrow," I said, helping him off his feet.

"Ok thanks anyway. What did Arthur mean about trying to marry you off?"

"My father is going to give my hand in marriage to whoever wins because he now believes I am 'of age'. So, that's why we are so determined for Arthur to win because neither of us wants me to get married off. If I was, I'd have to leave here and I can't deal with that. So, I'm praying that Arthur wins tomorrow."

"He will, don't worry," Merlin said, smiling slightly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd spent the morning walking around our village talking with everyone when I heard my name.

"Chelsea!"

I spun around and smiled when I saw Merlin coming over.

"You okay?"

"I need your help."

We went into a small barn and Merlin asked if I could teach him what each part of the armour was.

He put the armour back on so I could show him.

"Okay, so. You've got the voiders on your arms." I tapped his arm. "The hauberk goes over your chest." I tapped his chest and went over to the table to pick up the helmet. "I'm guessing you know what to do with the helmet?"

"Um...yeah. That was the only bit I could figure out," he admitted smiling. He put on the helmet then stopped. "How come you're so much better at this than me?"

"Because A) I'm Arthur's sister and B) I'm the kings daughter."

"Fair enough," he said, smiling down at me still.

I left the barn and headed back up to the castle to worry about tomorrow. Dear god, please let Arthur win.

811 words