The Plague S1 E3

💚 Edited-14.6.20 💚

After Arthur's success in the tournament, I'd gone back to my room to get ready for bed as the party didn't end till gone midnight.

The next morning I felt good. I felt good because I knew that I wouldn't have to leave Arthur or Merlin anytime soon.

A knock on the door grabbed my attention.

"Enter," I replied, while making my bed.

"Shouldn't you have a servant for that?" Arthur asked, referring to me making the bed.

"She's gone to see her family. Her mother's fallen ill so I dismissed her until her mother's better," I explained.

"Well, don't let Father catch you doing that," Arthur said, grabbing the opposite end of the blanket and straightening it out.

"Likewise," I laughed.

"Right, anyway we're going to see Merlin, he's late," Arthur told me.

"Ok, just let me get ready," I said, rushing over to my wardrobe.

Once I was ready, I ran back out to find Arthur laying on my bed chucking one of my ornaments in the air and then catching it

"You know that's an antique," I said, making him lose his concentration and drop the ornament dragon on his head.

"Ow!" He exclaimed, rubbing where it hit him.

"Come on loser," I said, walking out of my room quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When we got to Gaius' Arthur knocked on the door.

"Merlin?" Arthur called through the door while I knocked a little rhythm.

"Really?" Arthur muttered, raising his eyebrow.

Merlin opened the door and I saw Gaius lingering around behind.

"I'm on my way. Sorry I'm late," Merlin quickly apologised.

"Don't worry. I'm getting used to it," Arthur said, pursing his lips together.

I noticed Merlin had a purple flower under his scarf.

"Nice flower," I said, nodding at it.

Merlin quickly took it off. "Oh, uh, Gwen. She gave it to me."

I nodded in understanding but felt that same feeling I felt when I saw them standing together at Lady Helen's/evil witches performance. Am I jealous? No. I can't be. I have nothing to be jealous of. Does that make me envious? Wanting something that someone else has? Oops.

"Tell Gaius our Father wants to see him now," Arthur told Merlin. Arthur then walked away.

"Is everything okay?" I asked Merlin.

"What? Oh, yeah. Just peachy," he said quickly.

"You're lying," I said simply before pushing his door open and walking in. "What's happening?"

Merlin took a deep breath before explaining. "Someone, someone magical, has cursed this guy and well..." Merlin said, pulling back a blanket.

"Oh my God!" I exclaimed, as I saw a man with blue skin and darker veins running over his body.

"Yeah," Merlin sighed. "Oh, Gaius."

"I heard," he said.

"Why couldn't he just tell you himself?" Merlin asked.

"Cause that's the way it is. You're a servant," Gaius explained.

I felt really guilty that that was how he felt.

"If he knew who I was, what I've done—" Merlin began.

"You'd be a dead servant," I told him bluntly. He looked at me and I shrugged smiling sympathetically. Gaius just nodded.

"Right, get this covered up," Gaius told us.

"Hey, I'm not your servant," Merlin defended.

"No, you're my dogsbody. Come on, hurry up," Gaius retorted, causing me to laugh behind my hand.

Merlin quickly grabbed a blanket and chucked it over the body. I helped cover it completely by tugging at some of the edges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went with Merlin and Gaius to see what my Father wanted.

When we entered the room, the first thing we saw was another blue body.

"What's happened to him?" My Father asked.

"I don't know, sire," Gaius said, bending down next to the body. "That's the second case I've seen today."

"Why didn't you report it to me?" Father asked.

"I was attempting to find the cause," Gaius defended.

"And what did you conclude?"

"I don't think it's time to hurry to conclusions. The scientific process is a long one."

"What are you concealing from me?"

"Sire, I have seen nothing like it. The victims are dying in 24 hours and it's spreading fast," Gaius explained.

"But what is the cause?" My father repeated.

"I think you should say the cause—" Gaius began. "The most likely cause is sorcery."

Arthur looked up at my Father then they both looked down at the body whereas I looked straight over to Merlin who looked worried.

My father then led Arthur away from the crowd to talk to him alone.

"Who would do something like this?" I asked Gaius and Merlin.

"I don't know. Clearly someone who doesn't like Camelot," Merlin said shrugging.

Merlin and Gaius then bent down to cover the body back up when I heard my brother say Merlin's name so I inched closer to listen.

"We need Gaius to find a cure. He needs all the help we can give him. If Gaius is right, believe me, the city will be wiped out. This is the kind of magic that undermined our authority, challenges all we've done. If we cannot control this plague, people will turn to magic for the cure. We have to find this sorcerer and quickly," my Father said. The fear in his voice was evident.

"Father, I have no duties for the next few days. I can assist Gaius and Merlin with their search for the cure," I stepped in. Seeing the horror on Arthur's face I added, "don't worry, I won't go anywhere near the actual supply of magic or the body but I'm pretty good with medicines. I could be a big help. Please."

He considered it for a minute then spoke. "Okay, but be careful and don't touch the body or anything dangerous."

"Of course," I said smiling before heading back over to Gaius and Merlin.

"You coming?" Merlin asked me confused.

"Yup. I have permission to help with your research," I told them both.

"Perfect," Gaius said smiling, as he knew I had knowledge of many different medicines and cures.

"Let's go find this cure."

1006 words