The Night Before Disaster S1 E9

💚 16/01/2021 💚

Once again we were sitting in the arena watching as one of our best Knights was slowly being defeated. However, in comparison to Sir Owain's fight, Sir Pellinor was doing decent. He was getting more hits and fighting back stronger. We all gasped in shock as we saw very blatantly, Sir Pellinor's sword stab the black Knight in the chest just like Sir Owain had. But like yesterday, he didn't fall. And this time, everyone saw it. He fought back even harder, confusing everyone.

"The sword went in. I'm sure of it," I said to Arthur.

"I saw it too," Arthur agreed.

"How is he still alive?" I muttered.

Despite his best efforts, Sir Pellinor was knocked to the ground and the black Knight stood in front of him, ready to end his misery.

Luckily, I had time to turn away before Sir Pellinor was killed. I didn't need to have any more stray thoughts about two Knights' deaths.

Before any of us could stop him, Arthur had stood and chucked his own gauntlet at the black Knight.

"Arthur, what are you doing?" I whispered.

"I can't let him kill any more of my Knights," Arthur replied, turning back to the black Knight. "I, Arthur Pendragon, challenge you."

Everyone was silent and were either watching Arthur to check if he had gone insane or at the black Knight to see if he would dare fight our Prince.

"So be it," The black Knight replied.

"A single combat, noon tomorrow," Arthur repeated the black Knight's own words to him.

The black Knight picked up his sword, that was still inserted in Sir Pellinor, and left the arena.

Everyone stayed silent as Arthur got up and left. They all stayed silent when my Father got up to follow Arthur. They even stayed silent as I was dragged out by my Father because apparently he thinks Arthur will listen to me. As if!

We followed Arthur into the great hall and saw him already standing there, probably preparing himself for our Father's wrath.

"How could you be so stupid?" Father said, as soon as we walked in, finally letting go of my wrist. "I'll revoke the challenge."

"No. The Knights' code must be upheld. That's what you told me," Arthur said firmly.

As much as I hated that Arthur did it, I was slightly proud that he had taken charge when the consequence of our Father would be great. And let's be honest, if anyone (without magic of course) can beat this black Knight, it would be Arthur.

"This is different," Father replied.

"Why? Because it's your own child? I'm so glad that you had no problem with letting others die but when it affects you, you're all 'Oh my God, we must save ourselves," I said sarcastically, causing Arthur to smirk at me and Father to glare at me.

"Once a challenge has been laid down, it cannot be rescinded," Arthur began, only for Father to speak loudly over him.

"You are crown Prince," Father reminded him.

"Thank you for that pointless reminder, but there cannot be one rule for me and one rule for all the rest," Arthur told him.

"I forbid you to fight," Father said.

"Here we go again," I muttered, rolling my eyes.

"You want me to prove that I'm worthy of the throne. I cannot do that by being a coward. This is my chance to prove my worthiness, and yet you don't want me to. How am I supposed to prove myself if you won't let me?" Arthur asked.