✯Chapter 7✯

I did go back to work on Tuesday. I ended up having to wear some of Coraline's clothes to school. I was glad that Tina wasn't the type to talk about me to other colleagues, so I didn't have to worry about people giving me strange looks. I did, however, have to worry about a text that I got from Carly.

In her text message she wasn't apologizing for what she did with Colt. In fact, she explained to me how long this was going on and how everything started. As soon as I finished teaching that day, I closed my classroom and raced to Coraline's classroom. She still had one more class to give, and Tina was long gone. She said she had to take care of some car insurance stuff.

As soon as Coraline saw my face, she gave her students a task and brought me outside.

"What's wrong?" she asked me alarmed.

"Carly. She sent me a long text," I said.

I handed her my phone. The text said:

'Hey Scarlett. I know you don't want to see or hear anything I have to say, but I have to tell you some things. I've been in love with Colt way before you have. When we were still going to school, I fell in love with him, his outgoing personality. We talked a few times, but nothing really came out of it. Until you told me that you liked him as well. I didn't say anything, but I felt like you were ripping him away from me. But Scarlett, I knew something that you didn't. Even after the two of you started dating, I knew that Colt was cheating on you. I saw him kissing another woman once. He knew that I saw him. He wanted me to keep it a secret from you. I wasn't going to do it, but he made me a tempting offer that I couldn't refuse. I still had feelings for him, even though the two of you were dating. We started meeting each other secretly. One thing led to the other, and our meetings became sexual. I know that you're feeling hurt, but you should try to see it from my point of view as well. I made it clear to Colt that I wasn't going to abandon him just because he was with you. He could have turned me away. But he didn't. He likes me as well. We have a connection that no one could ever understand. If you come in between us, know that you'll be breaking up a couple that was meant to be together.'

Coraline gave me back my phone. She was speechless.

"What do I do?" I asked her.

"Uhm... Maybe it's best not to tell Tina about this," she said, "She already has a criminal record."

Although I was feeling restless since reading the text, I had to laugh at Coraline's comment. It was true that Tina had a criminal record. I wasn't sure how she got accepted as a teacher; our school had strict rules about that.

"Don't text her back," she warned me, "She can send you a million texts, apologies or not. You decide whether you want to accept her apology or not."

"That's the thing, she wasn't apologizing in this," I told her.

"Yeah, she was rubbing salt on your wounds." She shook her head. "But she might send you more messages. I'm just saying, it's not a good idea to give her a reply."

"Okay," I agreed, "Go ahead and finish your class. I'll wait for you. We're checking out the first apartment today, right?"

"Yup! I'll be done soon!"

She went back inside her classroom. Coraline always helped me feel calm whenever I was upset or distressed about something. Tina was also a great friend, but at times like these I wanted Cora to be the one to ease my nerves rather than rile them up.

But it didn't feel right to leave Tina out of the loop. So I forwarded her the message. A few seconds later she was calling me.

"I'm going to ask Levi for her address!" she screamed, "She's dead!"