✯Chapter 28✯

Colt's actions had major consequences. My classroom couldn't be used anymore until it was completely restored to its previous state. Even though it was cleaned for the most part, the graffiti was going to be annoying to get rid of. Either the room had to be repainted, or it had to be removed using a pressure washer or something.

Carly was still in a slump because of what she witnessed between Colt and I and because of how he treated her. She didn't want to do anything. She didn't leave the room she was in no matter how much I urged her to. Levi didn't have the patience to deal with her. He would often leave Carly to me and would keep himself locked up in his room typing away at his computer. He wasn't fond of having her here, that much was obvious.

On a faithful night, I received a call from Coraline. She told me to go watch the news right away. As soon as I turned the TV on, a picture of Colt appeared on the TV screen. The news reporter was saying that they were searching for him. They were calling him a 'potential stalker'. They vaguely mentioned that he was caught harassing someone and that he was now on the run. Anyone with information about his whereabouts had to report to the authorities immediately. It gave me a weird feeling hearing those words from a news reporter who didn't even know who Colt was. But then again, did I know any better?

"What is going on?" Coraline asked me, "Did he... stalk you too?"

"I didn't want you to find out this way," was all I could say.

"Are you kidding me Scarlett? Your husband is on the news. Why didn't you tell me anything?"

"I don't want you to worry about this," I admitted, "You have a baby to care about. That's all that matters to me. And your anxiety... I don't want to be a burden on you."

"But this is your safety we're talking about." She paused and gasped sharply all of a sudden. "Was the car accident his doing?"

"I think so."

"That's crazy Scarlett... He came to visit you as if nothing happened, what the heck? What else did he do?"

I told her about the phone calls and about what happened with me and Carly. I didn't tell her that I had to live with Tina temporarily; that would have been overkill. Coraline was left speechless at the other line.

"You there?" I called out to her.

"He's a psycho," she muttered, "I'm so glad you're getting divorced from him."

This time it was my turn to pause. It was something I still had trouble accepting after all.

"I'm not getting divorced," I said finally, "He tricked me."

"Scarlett!!"

I grimaced. "I know... It was stupid of me to believe him." I turned the TV back off and stared at the coffee table in front of me. "I don't know how that stuff goes, so I trusted him to handle it. I should have known. He never wanted a divorce in the first place."

"I want to visit you. Is that okay?"

I glanced up at Levi's bedroom. Carly was here already. Would he mind if Coraline also came over?

"Sure," I said, albeit a bit hesitant.

"I'll ask Tina to come along. We'll be there in an hour."

"Okay."

As soon as we hung up, I went to Levi's room and knocked on the door. He opened the door.

"Is it okay if Coraline and Tina come over?" I asked him.

He frowned. So that was a no.

"S-sorry," I said quickly, "Coraline... found out about Colt because he was on the news. She's worried and she wants to come over now."