✯Chapter 17✯

Levi finished his soda and threw it in a nearby bin. It's been a few minutes now and he still hadn't answered my question. I couldn't read him at all. I didn't know why he was stalling me like this.

Eventually he just got up and told me to follow him. I hesitated at first, but when he held his hand out for me to take, I couldn't say no. We went to a few of the stalls. He bought me a crepe, some cotton candy and a small stuffed teddy bear. The food didn't really surprise me, but the teddy bear did. He said it was a memento of today. When I raised my eyebrows at him, he just looked away from me.

By the time we were done, Levi and I went back to his car. But I refused to get inside without getting some answers.

"You're really not going to tell me?"

I didn't like feeling so left out. I wanted to know what Levi was thinking about. I couldn't understand why he went and bought me stuff instead of answering the question I had asked him.

Levi was about to unlock the doors, but he stopped. He walked around the car over to me, forcing me to press my back against his car. He was standing only inches away from me.

"Why do you ask so many questions, Scarlett?" he asked me, staring intensely at me.

"Why don't you like answering my questions, Levi?" I threw back at him.

"Because you wouldn't like the answer of some of them," he replied, lifting my chin a bit with his hand.

"How can you be so sure? You—"

Levi shut me up immediately. He pressed his lips on mine, placing his hand on my waist and pulling me closer to him. The kiss was short, sweet but oh so effective. He pulled his head back and breathed: "This is why I can't see you as a friend."

I was speechless. My heart was racing. My whole body felt numb. What the hell just happened? Did Levi actually kiss me? Why was that the best kiss I've ever had? Who was Colt again?

"You're not saying anything," he said in his low deep voice that sent even more electricity down my body.

"Wait... Wait..." I didn't know where to begin. "You have feelings for me?"

"Obviously," he said, chuckling.

Lord, having him so close to me was starting to become dangerous... I couldn't think straight.

"But... why is that a bad thing?" I asked, placing my hands on both sides of his face.

He hid his face in my neck. I couldn't breathe. Levi was dangerous... I was slowly falling for him, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

"Your divorce... it's not finalized yet," he whispered, but his voice was barely audible.

He sounded weak. The thought of me being the cause of him sounding so fragile sent me another wave of butterflies in my stomach. When he spoke again, I realized how much this has been weighing on Levi's mind.

"It takes months for those papers to go through," he explained, "I can't wait that long anymore. I'm really trying here, but I just can't do this anymore. I didn't want to throw this on you right now because I know you're going through shit with Colt and you're still trying to get over him, but... I can't keep waiting, Scarlett."

He lifted his head from my shoulder and looked at me. "The whole pretending to date you thing... I couldn't go through with it, because I don't want to fake anything with you. I just did it to help you with Colt, but... it wasn't a game to me."

This man... I didn't know what to do with him. He was being so open to me, so delicate... I couldn't push him away. I didn't want to.

"Levi, I..." I wanted to say something, but my brain wasn't functioning. I was still busy processing everything he was saying.