✯Chapter 19✯

Author's Note: Picture of Michelle

◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩◩

My eyes widened in shock. But I tried my best to compose myself. Again, it wasn't as if he had killed someone... right?

"What... happened?" I asked slowly.

Levi dropped his head again. He didn't say anything. I got up and sat on his bed next to him. I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"What happened?" I repeated, less shaken now.

Levi was still quiet. Just when I started thinking he wasn't going to tell me yet, he said that he got arrested for something he didn't do.

"After my family died I didn't... stop hanging out with those people I called my friends. Obviously things took a turn for the worse. We started taking drugs and such, doing all kinds of shit. But our group continued to expand. One day a girl joined us." Levi looked at me. "Her name was Michelle. She had short, brown hair, a slender figure, big green eyes... She was sweet. She didn't belong with guys like us. She confessed to me one day, and I started dating her because I thought she was different. But I trusted the wrong person."

I frowned. He continued.

"There was a party one day." Levi paused and looked away from me. "We were young. We were stupid. There was a lot of booze and drugs going around. I was with Michelle all night, and somehow I ended up waking up next to her the next morning."

My heart dropped. This story sounded awfully similar to what happened between Levi and I, minus the drugs part. But I had a terrible feeling about what he was going to say next.

"Supposedly neither one of us could remember what had happened to us that night. Before the two of us got the chance to leave the room, which was still at the site of the party, police came barging in. They told us not to move. They were raiding my friend's house to search for drugs. Michelle broke down crying. She pointed at me and told them that I had sexually molested her."

I froze.

"She went into detail about stuff that I supposedly did to her," Levi continued, noticing my reaction, "She pointed to one of the drawers of the closet and said that I was also forcing drugs in her system. And of course, there was a bag filled with cocaine in that drawer."

I felt nauseous.

"I was arrested at the spot. I couldn't remember anything that happened that night, but I knew I couldn't have done something like that," he told me, "Michelle placed the drugs in the drawer. I was sure that she had also made up the story about her assault. But the police wouldn't believe me. I didn't have proof to defend myself. My grandparents made sure I got a lawyer, but it wasn't enough. I got sentenced to ten years in prison."

I wanted to believe him. I really did. But the story was eerily similar to mine. I was starting to doubt that nothing had actually happened that night between us.

No! I didn't want to doubt him. But still...

"After I got released from prison I met Tina," he continued, "We went out for some time, but that didn't last long. I had trouble trusting women after that incident with Michelle."

My mind was still stuck on the assault part. What if I was also assaulted by Levi that night? Levi said something after that, but I didn't hear it at all.

"Scarlett?" he called out.

I snapped out of my daze. "Oh... yeah..." I forced a smile at him. "Sorry, I zoned out."