✯Chapter 9✯

Levi was still livid when we went back to his car. He drove off as soon as we were inside. I glanced at him every few seconds, worried. I appreciated him being there for me, but I didn't foresee the tension that would surface between Colt and Levi. I did know that Colt was going to get jealous, but I didn't think that Levi was going to fight back.

"Hey Levi," I said in a low voice, "Thanks."

"Nah, don't sweat it," he said, "I don't know how you were able to deal with that cocky bastard for so many years."

I shrugged. "He was a good actor, I guess."

"He didn't want you to see what kind of asshole he truly was."

This was a side of Levi's that I've never seen before. I liked it. He was protective. It reminded me of the night of Tina's party. No wonder Coraline had such a crush on him.

"How did you get to know Tina?" I asked him after a while.

He took a deep breath and glanced at me. "It was through a friend. Trevor. I guess Tina and I just clicked."

Clicked? Huh.

"She's lucky to have a friend like you," I muttered, looking outside the window.

I heard him chuckle beside me.

"What makes you think we're friends?" he asked me, catching me off-guard.

"What? You're not?" I asked, gaping.

"No, I don't have any friends."

"And you're single?" I said, although I already knew the answer to that.

He stopped at a spotlight and gave me a weird look. "What's with the questions?"

"Because!" I crossed my arms. "It's just impossible. I'm sure you would be so popular if you really wanted to, especially among women."

He chuckled again. "Seriously? What if I just don't want to be around people? Is that so wrong?"

I pouted. "Well... no, I guess..."

"Not everyone likes being around people all day," Levi continued, "It's draining."

"Maybe not all day. Maybe just... you know, someone you can talk to whenever there's something on your mind or something worrying you."

He looked at me curiously, his smirk still present. "Is this your way of asking me if we can be friends?"

I was blushing so hard that I didn't know where to turn to. He saw right through me! He laughed and continued driving when the light turned green.

"I don't mind," he said finally, right after we arrived at the pizzeria, "As long as you don't text me after 11pm."

I grinned. "Why not?" I teased, "Most fun conversations start after 11."

"What kind of conversations were you having up until now?"

"Any conversation that involves Coraline and Tina are never boring," I admitted.

"By the way... Your husband asked you where you were going to live." Levi took his phone out. "Where are you staying right now?"

"I'm staying with Coraline, but... I'm searching for an apartment. I don't want to get in the way of Coraline and her husband's alone time. I do help her out with a few things around the house, but she doesn't want me to do a lot of work. She treats me like a guest."

"And you like doing a lot of work?" he asked.

"I don't mind the work," I said earnestly, "I did everything when I was with Colt. It's not new to me."