✯Chapter 23✯

So apparently Carly wasn't the only one who lied about her career. I was completely in shock at what the detective had told me. Levi never told me that Colt quit his job. Maybe he didn't know about this either. How was Colt able to hide this information so well? What was the truth? Did Colt really quit his job without telling me about it? If so, what was he doing during the day instead of working? It puzzled me how Levi didn't mention this to me.

"Are you... sure about this?" I asked him one more time.
"That's what he told my daughter," the male detective said, "I wouldn't know for sure. Have you tried calling him when he's at work?"

"Of course," I said, "Not on his office phone, but on his cellphone."

"Why don't you try calling in the morning and asking his boss about him?"

"I think I will. He's kept a lot of dirty secrets from me, but I didn't think he would be hiding this as well..."

"Well," the female detective said, "We'll keep in touch."

"We want to talk to your boyfriend when he wakes up as well. You said his name was Levi, right?" the male detective inquired.

"Yes, Levi Gallant."

"Oh! Gallant. I remember him; he has quite the history with the authorities."

I sighed. "I know... But he's turned over a new leaf. He's a private investigator too. I met him through a friend of mine. He helped me find out that my husband was cheating on me."

The detectives glanced at each other for a second.

"That's good then," the man said, "I'm glad to hear he's become a better person."

"What's wrong? Why are you two acting so suspicious?" I asked them cautiously.

"It's just a theory," the female detective said, "but if Gallant's job is to find out if someone's spouse is cheating or not, he's bound to have some people who will want to get rid of him."

"But... it doesn't explain how I received another one of those notes on my car. I don't know any of his clients," I said, feeling something heavy in my chest now, "Levi also thinks that it's someone who knows who I am and where I work."

The detectives didn't say anything about that. They said their goodbyes and left. Moments later Tina came back inside.

"What's going on?" Tina asked me, "Was it about the hit-and-run?"

"No," I said, "Well yes, but... It's... a long story."

"If it involves you and cops, I should know, Scar."

I looked at her for a moment. I couldn't get rid of the uneasiness in my stomach. The stalker could have been anyone... including Tina. She knew where I worked. She knew who Levi was. But what would have been her motive for doing this? Jealousy? Nah, it couldn't be her. She was my best friend, and she seemed happy with Oliver.

"Scar? What's going on?"

I looked away from Tina. "It's about the hit-and-run," I said simply.

"Is that it? Are you sure you're not hiding anything from me?"

She knew me all too well. Normally this would have made me happy, but... I didn't know what to think right now.

"Yeah, that's it," I lied, "Have you heard from Levi?"

Tina nodded. "I just heard that he woke up, that's why I came to see you."

I gasped sharply, my heart skipping a few million beats simultaneously. "What?! I have to go see him!"