Chapter 1: Out From the Ashes

8 months ago.....

(Y/N)'s POV

Price and I grew up in a rather isolated village in the southwestern parts of Anima. It was kind of a blessing that our hometown was somewhat away from all the conflict, bullshit, and drama of the world. Of course there was always the regular threats of grimm, bandits, and what have you. Which was why I began working on my biggest mad scientist project of all time: The Southern Cross. My father was a huntsman while my mom ran her own sewing business from home. I had recently turned 16 while my sister, Allison, was 14. Dad was always away a lot but I sorta understood why with his job. I almost aspired to be like him one day, especially when I was a little kid. A lot of my experiments and inventions were designed to help combat the forces of evil and all that jazz. Only so far The Southern Cross is one of only three successes under my belt next to a long line of failures.

One day Dad came home from a mission he was on that took a bit longer than he figured it would. He'd come home and greet us, catch up for a little bit, and go downstairs into the basement to his workbench where he'd clean and do work on his guns, Heart and Soul. Yeah, my weapons used to be my Dad's before....the grimm came.

It started when we started hearing all kinds of screaming and panic happening outside. My Dad just finished his routine on his guns before he ran outside and ordered us all to stay in the house and lock the doors and windows. I was about to shut the door after Dad ran out with a gun in each hand until I saw everything. What I saw was a complete 180 from what I was accustomed to.

People were screaming, running, panicking, and using whatever they could get their hands on to defend themselves. Grimm were running a muck everywhere killing or devouring anyone they could get their paws on. Beowolves and Ursas were going at it with the local huntsman in town including my dad but it wasn't going well. A fire broke out about two doors down from our house from all the chaos and destruction ensuing and it was spreading fast.

I immediately shut the door and Mom ushered us into the basement right after. Mom went back upstairs for a brief minute. About a minute or two later all I heard was the sound of windows breaking and a struggle happening upstairs. It lasted for a few minutes before a series of banging on the walls and floor started happening followed by a loud thud to the floor. The basement door was bashed open and a beowolf grimm jumped down towards us. My sister and I were barely able to avoid it and run back upstairs only be greeted by a couple more of them. Next thing I know, one grabbed my sister and after that, I got knocked back and sent head first into the wall. As soon as I hit the wall, everything went black.

I later woke up with the house looking like a wreck. My vision was still blurry but I heard what sounded like someone or something searching inside the house. That's when I recognized the voice.

Price: "Come on. They had to have kept the keys or something around here. But where?"

(Y/N): *groans* "Price?"

Price: "Huh? Hello! Mr. and Mrs. (L/N)!? Allie?! Anyone home?"

(Y/N): "Over here!"

Price looks over and finally sees me against the wall with some debris laying on top of me and rushes over to help me up.

Price: "Holy shit (y/n)! Are you okay?! Where are your parents and sister?"

(Y/N): "My head and back are kinda killing me but other than that I'm okay I guess."

Price: "Where are your folks?"

(Y/N): "I don't know. Dad ran out to go fight those things. Mom went upstairs from the basement but never came back down. A beowolf found us not long after that and took my sister before throwing me all the way back here. What happened to everybody?"