Prologue

At five years old, we all believed in magic. 

We used to twirl around in capes, using a stick as our magic wands and shouting nonsense, which usually amused our parents. We were young, we were innocent, and people understood that.

You can't tell a five year old that magic doesn't exist, it'll break their heart. My parents are down-to-earth. They let me fool around with that nonsense until I was ten. Then, they decided it was time for me to grow up. Little did they know that I wouldn't believe them. 

Because that morning, I saw a witch.

I was at the park, swinging by myself as my mother watched from the bench, when the entire place was invaded by a thick fog. Being young, I wasn't particularly alarmed. I was curious. But the screams of others were enough for me to hide away.

I knew I wasn't alone.

A person dressed in a ripped, black cloak emerged from the fog. The only visible part of them were their hands, covered in scaly gray skin. I remember wondering how they managed to glide on rocks. The only logical explanation my young mind had brought up was that their feet were simply not touching the ground. 

I started shivering uncontrollably, as if the fog was seeping into my body, darkening every one of my thoughts. I was afraid, I was filled with despair. I thought I would never be happy again.

But I heard a shout.

"Expecto Patronum!"

A bright flash illuminated the park, the light forming the outline of a big eagle who dove towards the creature, jabbing it with its beak. The light made me feel a warmer. The dark creature howled before turning to dust. The fog slowly melted away to reveal a woman dressed is a black cape. In one hand, she held a wand and in the other, a broom. She furtively glanced around before mounting the broom and flying away.

Of course, I told my mother what I had seen. She looked at me with a pitiful expression and told me I was in shock. In shock of what? 

I still did not feel very well but after that night's chocolate cake desert, I was once again full of energy. After a whole hour of bugging my parents, I gave up. I locked myself in my mind, which became a chamber filled with questions and mysteries.

Was I insane? Was I sick? I didn't know. I ignored every attempt my parents made at trying to get me to give up my beliefs. I had seen a witch, and nothing, not the teasing, or even the isolation, was going to change that.

...............................

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢