Chapter 28

The oak door opened, revealing a large and circular room with many windows, one of which overlooked the mountains guarding the castle. 

The sun had already risen, but it was hidden behind clouds, giving off grayish rays that did not do much to illuminate the room. A few candles floated around the room, bathing the room in their glow. 

Portraits were hung on the walls, each holding an ancient headmaster or headmistress of Hogwarts. The wizards eyed us suspiciously and I had the pleasant surprise of finding out that they could talk and move. I ignored their curious questions, instead focusing on the strange spindly-legged tables that held different silver instruments. 

A squeak made me turn around, facing the most magnificent creature I had ever encountered. The phoenix seemed to be sleeping, its fiery wings tucked to its sides.

"His name is Fawks," said Dumbledore, emerging from behind his large desk.

Draco stiffened at the sound of his voice, something like embarrassment flashing in his eyes.

"Sorry to disturb you, professor," he said, avoiding the headmaster's stare.

"Not a problem. Please, sit."

We both sat on chairs that were facing the desk, while Dumbledore lowered himself on a high backed, but otherwise simple chair, entwining his fingers together. He stayed silent, his piercing blue eyes studying us, waiting for us to speak. 

Draco took a deep breath and the words spilled out of his mouth. Voldemort's visit to the Malfoy's mansion, his discontentment towards Lucius, Lucius going to Azkaban, Draco's fear of his mother's safety. At the end of his story, he yanked up his sleeve, revealing the dark mark.

"I need help, professor," he said, his voice cracking. "I need you to protect my parents."

Dumbledore nodded slowly, as if actually grasping the gravity of the situation. "The Order of the Phoenix will be contacted and measures will be taken for their safety. Are you certain your father will agree to this?"

Draco's expression hardened. "I do not know. Show him what you can do, if he agrees, he will not betray you, at least for my mother's sake. No matter what, I want her in safety."

"I will do everything in my power to help you, Draco."

The boy leaned back against the chair, as if a large weight had been lifted from his shoulders. "That's all I ask for. I'm sorry, professor."

Dumbledore shook his head, a small smile never leaving his thin lips. "You found your way, Draco. There is nothing to forgive."

Before the conversation could be closed, I straightened my back and leaned forward, attracting the old wizard's attention. "Professor Dumbledore, Harry Potter has been coming to your office for private lessons. You have been disappearing off school ground on some... missions." 

I hesitated, trying to put together everything I had noticed. "All this time, Voldemort had been trying to kill you, using an intermediary." 

Draco flinched, but I continued nevertheless. 

"Something is going to happen, am I right? You know how to defeat Voldemort, but are trying to pass on the knowledge to Potter." 

His eyes twinkled, and I forced myself to ignore what emotions flashed in them. I was missing something, a certain information. 

His hand moved to the side as he hid it in the folds of his robe. I just had the time to notice the black flesh, clinging onto his bones. 

Realisation hit me. 

"You're dying," I whispered in horror.

"Good, Miss Collins. Very good."

That was why Harry, Ron and Hermione were taking their NEWTs. They were not coming back next year. They would search for a way to kill Voldemort. I

 stared at his hand as if the intensity of my stare would make me see through the fabric of his sleeve. I had no idea how I hadn't noticed it until now, but his hand reeked of dark magic. I could sense it deep in my bones, the feeling resembling tiny insects crawling under my skin.

"Now," Dumbledore interrupted my train of thoughts. "You had questions, didn't you?"

"Yes, about magic and how I manage to perform certain spells, but..."

"Miss Collins," the headmaster cut me off. "There are certain things that are too dangerous for you to know about."

I forced my mouth shut, hiding my annoyance. I was bound to find out one way or another.

"Magic, Miss Collins, is a gene that will either be recessive or dominant. Muggles, who have the recessive gene, cannot perform magic. But, the gene is there. It would be correct to say that magic does not manifest itself." 

He paused, observing me carefully. "You, on the other hand, are so determined to do the impossible, that you manage to control the gene and force it to manifest itself in random bursts. The control is limited, of course, since you do not own a wand, which would be useless to you. Every time you perform magic, it saps your strength, as if it is a physical effort. Sometimes, adrenaline will take care of it. Other times, you will feel the effects yourself."

My heart was beating wildly as I forced myself to appear calm and collected. This was even greater than I had imagined. Oh the endless possibilities! I can finally carve a place for myself in wizard society!

"That makes her an ideal target." Draco cut through my joy as surely as if he wielded a knife.

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "It does."

My head snapped up, towards Draco.

"What does he know about me?" I asked tensely.

"Your name, your character and your ability."

My shoulders relaxed slightly. "So my parents are safe."

"I will assign members of the order to guard them," assured the headmaster.

"I want to control my magic," I blurted.

They both stared at me curiously.

"There isn't much I can teach you that you do not know yourself," slowly said the headmaster. "You are better off on your own."

I couldn't help the disappointed feeling at the bottom of my stomach.

"Come and see me if you have any questions."

I nodded mutely and got up. "I suppose that is all, then."

Draco followed my lead. "Thank you, professor."

The old wizard smiled and I managed a stiff smile of my own before turning my back on him.

"I'll help you," whispered the silver haired boy when we left the office. "We'll figure it out."

That managed to lift my spirits. 

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢