Chapter 12

The sun had started setting when I stepped into the freshly fallen snow. I breathed in the fresh air, enjoying the cold's bite on my face. 

Until I was hit in the back by snow, which melted through my thin jacket.

"Who did that?" I said in a dangerously low tone.

The entire courtyard froze as I slowly turned around, facing Ginny and Luna, who had a petrified look on their faces.

"You're going to pay for that," I smiled evilly as I gathered two snowballs in my palms.

The girls screeched before running away laughing.

"Snowball fight!" yelled Ron.

Soon, the courtyard was filled with flying snow and laughter. I forgot my mask as I ducked and spun, avoiding the snow as best as I could, occasionally nailing someone in the chest. But just like in all snowball fights, snow doesn't always land on the person you were aiming for.

"Who threw that?" screeched Pansy as the snow fell from her face.

We chose to ignore her, dusting ourselves off and chuckling. The girl took out her wand and pointed it towards me.

"You," she seethed. "It was you, wasn't it?"

I did not deny it, although I had clearly seen a Hufflepuff first year throw the snowball.

"Levicorpus!" she yelled, my feet sliding out from in under me.

A small crowd formed around us as I was held upside down by some invisible ropes.

"Feel sorry now, don't you? You finally understand how powerless you are, how you should bow before your masters?"

Her words sparked a fire inside my stomach. I had lost the respect of the Slytherins. They thought I was helpless. 

I told Luna to stand back as she reached for her wand. 

This was my fight. I focused my attention on my feet, drawing the outline of the invisible force wrapped around my feet. Knot by knot, I willed it to let go of me, I forced it under my will. No magic was strong enough to counter that.

I dropped to the ground, landing in a crouch. "I bow to no one, darling,"

"You filthy..."

"That's enough, Parkinson," interrupted a voice from the entrance of the yard. 

I briefly met the steely eyes of Draco Malfoy before he disappeared into the castle and shivered, suddenly aware of the dampness of my clothes.

"Bloody hell, Collins!" bellowed Urquhart, storming down the steps leading to the courtyard.

Luna and Ginny straightened, reaching for their wands only to stop, confused, as the boy touched my freezing cheeks. I swatted away his hand and he shook his head.

"My main chaser can't catch a cold on the eve of our match," he scolded me. "To the dungeons, get yourself warmed up."

I rolled my eyes, amused, before waving my goodbyes to Luna and Ginny. Ron and Harry both earned a nod, Harry's nod accompanied by a conspiratorial look. 

I knew something that he had never even thought about. 

I shoved Charles with a small laugh as he fussed with my sweater, complaining about how if I did not get warm quickly, I wouldn't be able to move tomorrow.

"Kraken," we both said in unison after having descended the last step leading to the dungeon.

We entered the common room and warmth washed over me. I climbed the stairs despite the stiffness of my feet and rushed to wear something dry. 

Anything would be more comfortable than wet clothes.

Wrapped in a woolen blanket that had, conveniently, been placed on my bed, I left my room to enjoy the comfort of the fire burning in the heart of the common room. I sat down on the black sofa nearest to the fire, pulling my knees towards my chest as I gazed into the flames. 

Malfoy, a death eater? Harry had affected me more than I cared to admit.

I had heard stories about Draco, about what a git he was, but I couldn't fit the helpless boy I had seen in the bathroom into the role of a follower of Voldemort. Who knows how long it was when I finally left my dazed state of mind, but the common room had emptied, leaving behind a peaceful silence. 

The sofa dipped to my left and I glanced, only to see Draco burying his face in his hands with a sigh.

"Cold?" he asked quietly.

"Not anymore."

"You know, I... I don't have a choice, I must..." he groaned, wondering exactly how he was going to justify himself.

"Stop," I whispered. "You don't have to speak about it."

He sighed. "Not yet."

I smirked. "Curiosity killed the cat."

A small smile appeared on his lips. "I can't seem to grasp what's going on in your head."

"You don't want to know."

The smile melted into a smirk.

"Oh?" he slid closer, whispering. "What if I told you I could read your mind?"

"Then welcome to the chamber of darkness."

He chuckled. "Trust me, I can stand that."

I shook my head. "Sadly, I believe you."

We stayed silent, and I liked it better than any words we could have said.

"Goodnight Collins," whispered the boy, getting up.

"Goodnight Malfoy."

He flinched and I frowned, remembering the reaction. Sooner or later, I would have to ask.

What a conversation that would be.

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢