Chapter 39

I felt good. Too good for this to be anything other than a dream. 

That, or I was dead. Which was much calmer than I expected it to be. 

But when a burning pain awakened my body, I reconsidered. I inhaled sharply, my lungs feeling as if I had been through a fire and started coughing more than my dead grand-mother, who had smoked for more than three quarters of her life. 

I tried getting up, only sinking deeper into the mattress where I was laying.

"Shhhh," softly whispered a voice. "It's alright."

My eyes shot open, blinded by the brightness of the room. 

Everything was white, a sickening white colour. 

I looked around in panic, waiting for Voldemort to appear and claim my life. But he did not. Instead, gray eyes stared back at me, a hand gently pressing my shoulder, pushing me back into pillows.

"What happened?" I croaked weakly.

Draco smiled softly, worry shining in his eyes. "You sent them back, Hogwarts is safe."

My body went slack, flopping back unto the hospital bed. My hand reached up despite my exhaustion, resting it on the side of his face. "You aren't hurt?"

He shook his head. "You, on the other hand, nearly burnt up from the inside. You used too much energy." 

I now noticed exactly how drawn he looked. 

He placed his hand over mine, squeezing it. "Do you have any idea how much you scared me?"

I gave him a feeble laugh. "I did what was necessary."

"Doesn't mean I enjoyed it."

I sighed, feeling the weight of my tired muscles.

"You should sleep," he said.

I nodded and scooted to the side, giving him space.

"Stay with me," I pleaded. I didn't think I would ever be afraid of being alone.

Draco complied, laying down by my side. He draped an arm over my waist and allowed me to snuggle closer, tucking myself under his chin. His presence was comforting.

"How are Charles and Luna? And Ginny and Hermione? Gods, I'm even worried for Potter and Weasley..."

"They're safe, not even a scratch," he said. "Urquhart is still shaken by the Dementor attack. He didn't want to leave you until Madame Pomfrey knocked him out with a potion."

I smiled, imagining the scene. 

Draco hesitated. "You know...when I first saw you and Urquhart together, I truly thought I didn't stand a chance. Half the school thought you were together. With the way he acted around you, I wouldn't have been surprised. But, you are a difficult person to read, so I always held a bit of hope." He rested his head on top of mine, refusing to meet my eyes. "And then I started getting bloody jealous of him. I guess I grew careless, since he caught me staring at the both of you more than once."

I frowned. "How did I not notice?"

He laughed softly. "I didn't want you to. Urquhart isn't as oblivious as I thought he was. Luckily, he's a good bloke and confronted me."

"Which not a lot of people would gather the courage to do," I said with a mischievous smile.

He shook his head slightly, amused. "You're not making this easy."

I backed away, planting a swift kiss on his lips, just to see his reaction --and maybe because I felt like it. "My bad."

He blinked, distracted. The fact that I was able to make him forget his train of thoughts for a moment thrilled me more than it should. 

He grinned giddily. "Do you know how relieved I was to find out he was more of an older brother to you? God, he threatened me for a good ten minutes on what would happen if I dared hurting you."

I tucked myself underneath his chin, hiding my ever growing smile, warmth blossoming inside my chest. Draco stroked my hair.

"I wouldn't be able to hurt you," he whispered. "I love you, Rose Collins."

"Shut it, darling," I said, blushing like mad. "I love you too."

Perhaps it was the foolish confession of two sixteen year old kids, or perhaps it was a glimpse of the future. 

A muggle in the Malfoy family, the thought made me smile.

"When the school year is over, I'll take you to meet my parents," he said quietly.

A pang of anxiety stabbed my guts, my hands crisping. "Are you sure that is the best of ideas?"

He gently unclenched my hands, which I didn't know how he managed to do when not looking at them. "You'll have to meet them one day. It won't change how I feel about you. My mother cares about blood, but not as much as she cares about wit and manners."

"My parents made sure I have the manners of an aristocrat," I grimaced.

I felt the vibration of his chest when he chuckled. "Mother will love you, and father's opinion is worthless." He stayed silent for a moment, as if wondering how to ask the next question. "What about your folks?"

I pursed my lips. "You can legally apparate now, can't you?

"Only after June fifth, I'll be seventeen by then."

"Then you'll be able to take me to Australia. My parents have extended their vacation, they bought a cottage there."

I won't lie and say I wasn't relieved that they were safe and sound, far from this madness. But I felt guilty to shield such a large part of my life, and sad to find them so far from me. 

Draco wrapped his arms tighter around me, kissing the top of my head. "You aren't alone. Sleep, love."

My eyes fluttered shut and I rested my head against his chest, comforted by his mere presence. I'd figure something out. 

After all, I always did.

A/N Another chapter! Hope you all like it!

-Aella

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢