Chapter 3

"Mrs. Bones! It's Rose, I'm back," I call out as I enter the apartment.

"Ah! Miss Collins, I was wondering when you would come back. I'm in the kitchen!"

I kicked off my shoes and made my way to the kitchen, not needing to fake the adrenaline coursing through my veins. The thrill I was feeling was unbelievable, but perfectly explainable. 

There was no way I was letting this opportunity pass by.

"Mrs. Bones.."

The psychologist interrupted me. "Please, call me Mildred."

I nodded. "Mildred, I have wonderful news! I have found proof that magic is not as far as I had believed. It is actually in...um." I can't believe I hadn't thought this through. "In Scotland! I've booked a train ticket tomorrow morning, I hope it's alright."

I braced myself for her reaction but after her initial surprise, the woman returned to cutting her vegetables.

"I see you've had an eventful day."

I smiled politely. "Yes. What about you?"

"Oh, I visited my daughter. I can accompany you to the station if you'd like," she suggested.

I bit my lip. "I wouldn't want to be a bother."

"Nonsense," she said. "Alright, let's eat."

My head spinning, I sat down.

...................

The next morning, I was ready by seven. Dressed in black with my bag slung over my shoulder and my hair in a ponytail, I was too nervous to eat. By seven thirty, Mildred and I walked out the door, after having sent a good morning text to my parents. We drove to King's Cross Station, arriving at eight.

Three hours left, I reassured myself.

I sat down on a bench and waited, seemingly calm. Yawning, my psychologist sat by my side. The clock ticked and the only thing I could do was think. I sorted out every possible outcome, I checked every little detail.

And by ten, I knew I had done something wrong.

"Well," I said, getting up. "Thank you for your hospitality. I will keep in touch."

Mildred smiled and I walked away. I adjusted the strap on my backpack and made my way for the large board which displayed the arrival time of every train. I searched and searched, read every little line and yet, not one train left at eleven. I called out to a man in uniform.

"Excuse me, sir. Is there a train leaving at eleven this morning?"

The man frowned.

"No. Perhaps it was a mistake. The next train will arrive on platform 10 at 11:30."

I thanked him. By that time, it was 10:30. Marching at a brisk pace, I made my way for platform 10, hoping it would give me a hint. At 10:40, I noticed a red head among the crowd. 

I frowned, realising my mistake.

There were seven red haired people, hurrying along. Not believing my luck, I followed them until I stood on the platform separating the ninth and tenth. I spun around, trying to discern where they had gone.

I had lost them. It was 10:50.

Panic started clouding my mind and I took a deep breath. This was not the time. Suddenly, I heard a train whistle. I frowned, trying not to look around like an idiot. That was the sound of a steam engine. All trains here were electric. I leaned against a pillar, trying to seem nonchalant, and listened carefully.

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢