Chapter 5

I sighed, snapping a large book shut and releasing dust that had been held there for thousands of years. Stretching, I breathed in the old smell of the library. A mix of sawdust and parchemin that had turned yellow with time. I placed the book on top of one of the many piles around me.

 I had been here for hours after having convinced Hagrid, the giant, that I did not pose a threat to anyone and that it would be better to lock me inside the library than let me wander throughout the castle. 

Not that I would mind doing that too. But hunting for information was more important at the moment. 

Hogwarts: A history, has proven to be the most useful book. I had even managed to snag a book talking about you-know-who in the forbidden section. It had been remarkably easy to pick the lock holding the glass case shut, I had been expecting some sort of magical consequence. Now I understood why Ginny had made such a fuss about Harry Potter, the boy who lived. I closed my eyes, briefly recalling the most important information.

There exists a wizard population that uses magic in order to hide from muggles, who persecute them. (Muggles are non magical beings). The Ministry of Magic is in charge of the wizarding world, much like our government. Hogwarts is one of the most prestigious schools where students learn how to control their magic. Students are divided into four houses depending on their characteristics and values: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. They will study here for seven years, starting at the age of 11 years old. The headmaster is Albus Dumbledore, a wise and talented wizard. 

Now, he-who-must-not-be-named or you-know-who, is in fact a guy named Tom Marvolo Riddle, or, as he prefers to be called, Lord Voldemort. The Dark Lord.

I paused my train of thought in order to snort. Ridiculous. 

Where was I? Right.

Tom grew up in an orphanage and craved power. He wanted to rid the world of muggles and muggle born witches and wizards. Because yes, they can have muggle parents, which caused a great deal of disappointment that I had not received the special gene that allowed humans to perform magic. Voldemort received a prophecy saying he would be killed by a boy born at the end of July whose parents had nearly defeated him three times. 

Harry Potter. 

Voldemort killed Harry's parents, but Lili (Harry's mother) cast a protection over Harry by sacrificing herself. A mother's love saved him. The killing curse backfires and Voldemort flied, weakened. Harry is left with a scar and nothing more. On a more recent note, newspapers say that Harry has defeated Voldemort several more times as the dark lord tries to kill him.

How dumb must the Dark Lord be? A baby is so easy to kill. He could have dropped him from the roof instead. I pursed my lips, revising my thoughts. I most likely wouldn't be alive if it weren't for that stupid mistake.

I nod to myself, quite proud of the facts I had registered. As far as history goes, that would be enough. Next, I buried myself in books about spells, hexes and curses. Potions were interesting too. As for divination...well, I suppose star gazing was nice. 

Behind me, the large doors which had been locked were slowly opened. I raised my head.

"Good evening, professor Dumbledore," I told a man with a long white beard, recognising him from the pictures in the Daily Prophet.

The man chuckled. "I see you've done your research."

I gestured to the books around me but did not answer. 

Albus Dumbledore sighed. "You put me in a tough situation, Miss Collins."

"I know," I respond, quite aware that muggles weren't supposed to see Hogwarts. Not only was it well hidden, but it was magically concealed.

"Professor McGonagall thought it best to erase your memory," I straightened, ready to defend myself. "But I am under the impression that it wouldn't work."

Good, I thought, knowing that a memory loss would mess me up more than they realised.

"Miss Collins," mused the headmaster. "You are special."

I wasn't entirely sure if it was a good or bad thing. But if it meant that I wasn't crazy, I could work with it.

"Miss Collins," he continued. "Would you like to study here?"

"Yes," I said, not one bit of hesitation in my tone.

"Very well. I will provide your uniform and school supplies. However, I am afraid that a wand wouldn't be of a great use to you."

I shrugged, unbothered by that fact.

"The ceremony of the sorting hat has come to an end and the feast is almost over, but we can make an exception. How old are you Miss Collins?"

"I would be starting my sixth year, sir."

"Good, good. Coincidentally, it is also the same year as Mr. Potter. You know of him I imagine."

I nodded.

"You also know of the sorting hat?"

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty," I recited as best as I could.

"But don't judge on what you see, I'll eat myself if you can find a smarter hat than me."

I took a deep breath and continued.

"You can keep your black, your sleek and tall, for I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat and I can cap them all. There's nothing hidden in your head the Sorting Hat can't see, so try me on and I will tell you, where you ought to be."

I frowned slightly, coming to the most difficult part.

"You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart. Their daring, nerve, and chivalry, set Gryffindors apart. You might belong in Hufflepuff, where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil."

I'm not patient enough to be a Hufflepuff and I wasn't arrogant enough to call myself brave.

"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind. Where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind.

That sounded more like me.

"Or perhaps in Slytherin you'll make your real friends. Those cunning folks use any means to achieve their ends. So put me on! Don't be afraid! And don't get in a flap! You're in safe hands (though I have none) For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Dumbledore slowly clapped, smiling. "A good student, I suppose."

I was proud of having a good memory.

"Let's not keep your fellow classmates waiting, come along Miss Collins."

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢