Chapter 23

The next morning, when seeing Ron's glare, I knew I was in for trouble. Potter and him cornered me at the end of first class, Hermione lingered back, as if she could act as peacemaker. 

I crossed my arms over my chest, a dull look crossing my face. "Yes?"

The boy who lived shifted awkwardly from foot to foot. "Collins, what are you doing with Malfoy?"

I raised an eyebrow. "I beg your pardon?"

"Enough of that!" shouted Weasley. 

I found his lack of manners quite shocking.

"You say you're watching him, you keep saying unclear stuff, but it's all lies! We know it."

"Ron..." warned Hermione, but he did not listen.

"You're helping him, aren't you?" he seethed. "I saw the both of you together more than once. Already turned to the dark side, Collins?"

Hermione tried reaching out to touch his shoulder but Harry held her back, possibly scared by the dangerous twinkle in my eyes. I was getting tired of this, of all these stereotypes and social pressure.

"Of course, I am a partisan of the Dark Lord because I'm a Slytherin, aren't I?

Ron nodded fiercely, as if it was obvious. The level of stupidity present was making my head hurt.

"Well I am going to assume you're an idiot because you look like one," I snapped back.

His face turned red. Harry looked like he'd been smacked, while Hermione was glaring at the both of us.

"You filthy..." he growled.

"Mudblood?" I asked, the entire group flinching. "That's what I'm called by the supporters of the Dark Lord. They want the demise of people like me. Do I look like a fool to you, Weasley?"

He shook his head, taking a small step back.

"Do you realize the idiocy of your statement?"

"But...Malfoy, Harry said...." he stammered.

"You have it easy, Weasley. Your family is good and are expecting the same from you. What if they were evil? What if you were stuck with the responsibility of repairing their mistake and ensuring their survival?"

"You're defending him," noticed Harry.

"I am," I replied as confidently as I could. "Before going into battle, Weasley, make sure you see the whole picture."

I pushed past them, refusing to spare them another glance. I was furious. 

All throughout herbology, where we were picking knotgrass from the edge of the forbidden forest, I made sure to find myself far away from the rest of the students, certain that if I were to speak, I was going to explode.

"Why do you seem ready to curse someone?" asked Charles as he plopped down beside me, laying back on the newly green grass.

"Because I am," I replied, trying not to snap.

"Who made the beast angry?"

"An idiot," I grumbled.

"There are lots of those in Hogwarts," he noticed.

I sighed and dropped the tools I was using, slipping off my dragon skinned gloves. 

It was a beautiful day outside, the sun was shining brightly, getting rid of the last bits of snow and leaving us with a sense of renewed freshness. 

I lifted my head and closed my eyes, soaking in the sunlight and letting it wash away my anger. 

The air was still fresh, the kind that made you want to let your hair dance in the wind and free you from the darkest thoughts that crowd your mind. 

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢