Chapter 20

I woke up on Christmas morning to find the sun filtering through my curtains, a smile spreading onto my face. I pushed back my covers, tugging at the curtains until the sun poured into the room. I closed my eyes, letting my skin soak in the bright light, grateful that our dorms were above the water of the lake. 

I lowered my gaze, noticing a neatly wrapped present on my nightstand. My fingers brushed against the spotted red and green paper, a bittersweet light dancing in my eyes. 

I've always hated that wrapping paper. I hated it so much my father made it his personal duty to give me one present a year wrapped in that specific paper. 

Gently unwrapping it, careful not to rip the paper, I grinned when recognising the silver letters spelling out my favourite author's name. I loved her free thinking style that wasted no time in trying to make us believe in the good nature of humans. It was brutal and welcoming. 

I briefly flipped through the pages, enjoying in advance her analysis on the human brain.

"Thanks mom and dad," I whispered.

As much as I wanted to spend the entire day laying on my bed, reading; it was Christmas. 

I sighed, my gaze lingering onto the book. 

Perhaps I could compromise. 

I spent the next hour buried into a world of words and theories, where everything actually made sense, without my brain having to work until I had a headache. It felt nice. 

I snapped the book shut, mentally preparing myself to go down to the common room. I should go and wish merry Christmas to the rest of the Slytherin house. 

When I entered the common room, Black was painting her nails, sitting on one of the high-back leather chairs. Crabbe and Goyle were eating candies while Malfoy looked bored out of his mind.

"Merry Christmas," I said out loud, to no one in particular, receiving a smile from Stephanie.

Malfoy straightened, a smirk brightening his eyes. "Feeling joyful, Collins?"

I rolled my eyes. "Would it be too much to simply wish me the same?"

"I'm in a contrary mood."

His gaze darted to behind me, where sat Crabe and Goyle, his lips tugging downward. I did not need to face them to know they were glaring at us. 

Silence fell over the room, only disturbed by the munching and growling of Crabe and Goyle. 

I wasn't about to lock myself inside when the sun was shining so brightly. The Christmas spirit was seemingly having an impact on my decision making process.

"Black," I said, the girl lifting her head. "Have you ever played Quidditch?"

She shrugged. "I can keep."

"Brilliant." I turned to Malfoy, leaning against the back of the couch he was laying on. "How do you feel about getting destroyed in a quidditch match, Draco?"

"You're feeling awfully confident for a newbie," he said, a smug look on his face.

It took more efforts to convince the two gluttons, but Stephanie seemed anxious to get one the move. She could be very convincing when she wanted to be. 

The afternoon passed quickly and I caught myself laughing out loud more than once, especially after a particularly intense chase against Draco. Crabbe and Goyle weren't very agile, but they managed to block the opposing team. 

Overall, I was surprised to have fun. I even managed to smile when Black joked about Goyle's clumsy maneuvers. It was nice to feel welcomed. 

My muscles aching from the countless hours on a broom, I promptly collapsed by the fireplace at the end of the day.

𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥?
〚𝚍𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚘 𝚖𝚊𝚕𝚏𝚘𝚢