Chapter 23: Believe

Rosalyn's POV

"... And she wanted us to leave her alone." I filled in Amber with the events from last night.

"She didn't believe you, did she?"

"I guess no."

She nodded in understanding, "You did the right thing by letting her be. She won't believe it at first, but eventually, she will remember. She has to."

"She has to remember fast. The full moon tonight will heighten her senses... and anger."

"That's true."

I shook my head before saying, "Anyways, how was your shift?"

"Too tiring... An all-night shift isn't really my thing." She suppressed a yawn.

"Were there any... bodies yesterday night?"

"You mean people attacked by Sydney? No, there weren't."

"That's good news, right?"

"For now..." She let out a long, drawn yawn before finally climbing down my bed. "Alright, I'm gonna take a nap, before I doze off right here. The power was just resto--" Just then, my phone rang. "Who's that?"

I grabbed it from the bedside table and glanced at the caller-ID. "It's Kristen." I picked up the call, "Hey--"

"Come down to the Sheriff's Station right now."

"What? Why?"

"It's Uncle Jon. He knows about Thorngate, about what we did yesterday night."

"He knows? But how?"

"He won't tell me. Damien, Vincent and professor Whittemore have been called in too. We need to be there as soon as we can."

"Fine, I'm on my way." The call disconnected.

"What was that about?" I gave her a short description of the call before walking into my closet to change. "Wait, I'll go with you. It's as much as my fault as it is yours." I nodded, slightly less nervous now that she was going to be with me in this.

_______________

At the Sheriff's Station...

"Are you people out of your mind? Breaking into a Mental Institution and wounding the staff, do you know how serious a situation it might've proven to be if I hadn't handled it properly? And you," sheriff Martinez turned to professor Whittemore, "aren't you an authoritative figure, their teacher? Does it suit you to lead them into doing something that they might regret later?"

"Uncle, it's not his fault. The plan... was mine," Kristen took the blame on herself.

"And why did you break into Thorngate in the first place?"

"We had to save Sydney from those torturous monsters!"

"Thorngate is the only Mental Institution in this city, and also the most well-developed. I get that you care for your friends, but Sydney is in the right hands."

"How can you even say that? Thorngate has reported the highest number of suicidal deaths in the past year. The staff in there torments their patients!"

"And how does this torture work exactly?"

"They carry stun batons, and electrical weapons, but the most dangerous feature is the high-frequency ultrasound emitting devices outside every room on the fifth floor."

"Those are present to keep the pests away."

"Not only pests, uncle. They ward off supernatural creatures from the outside world."