Ten

It had been two years since Aimee had left with Alexa. No one had seen her since either. She had sent pictures of Alexa to Grace and Trevor. But she hadn't talked to Hannah since she had told her that Warren was Alexa's father.

Grace walked downstairs that morning and saw Curtis sitting with Trevor. She smiled. "Have you spoken to Aimee?" she asked.

"Nope. I can't get through either. The line goes dead," Trevor said. He sighed. "Our granddaughter is growing up and she isn't with her family."

Grace nodded. She felt bad for the fact Aimee left because she thought she would be hated. Especially by Hannah. "She'll come back. I know she will."

****

Hannah was walking through the village. She missed her sister. She didn't hate her. She was hurt. But she had gotten over it.

Hannah saw a police car pull up. A black car behind. Hannah frowned. She saw a woman take out a little girl and walked up the city steps. The police behind her.

****

Grace was about to go for a hot bath when the door knocked. She answered it and frowned. "Mrs Royle? My name is Detective Benson. May we come in?" He asked.

"What's this about?" Grace asked. She was concerned. She had the feeling something had happened to Aimee. "Trevor!"

Trevor came running downstairs. He frowned when he saw the police. "What's going on?"

"I'm sorry to say. A few nights ago we found a body. We believe it's your daughter Aimee."

Grace fell to the floor crying. Trevor couldn't believe his youngest daughter was dead. He looked at the officers. "What's happened to Alexa?" He asked.

"She's fine. However, as Alexa doesn't have a father listed on her birth certificate, you're her next of kin. Would you be willing to take Alexa in? If not we can place her into a foster care."

Grace rolled her eyes. "Don't be stupid. We're not going to let our granddaughter go into care. Where is she?"

The officers moved out the way and the social worker brought Alexa into the building. She looked scared and confused. "Alexa. This is your granny and grandad. They're going to look after you now. Okay?"

Alexa didn't speak. She gripped hold of her teddy and started crying. The social worker put her down. She toddler into the house.

****

Hannah and Warren had been called over to the house. Hannah realised it had something to do with the police car that arrived.

Warren sighed. "Why am I here?" He asked.

"I don't know. They asked to see us both. There was a police car before though. Tell me before we get there, have you done anything dodgy?"

"No."

Grace opened the door and she had been crying. Hannah frowned. "What's happened?" Hannah asked.

"Aimee was found dead a few days ago."

Hannah felt the tears hit her eyes. Her little sister was dead. She looked at Trevor. "Alexa. Is she?"

"She's here. The social worker brought her an hour ago. She's sitting in the living room with Curtis and your dad. She hasn't spoken," Grace said.

Hannah looked at Warren. She saw the look on his face when she realised that he was about to see his daughter. It had been two years since he had seen her.

Hannah walked into the house. She saw her niece sitting on the sofa holding a stuffed toy. She looked at her. Warren stood behind her. "She's beautiful."

"Yeah. She is. She looks like Aimee," Hannah said as she walked over to the sofa and sat down. "Hey Alexa. Do you know who I am?" She asked.

Alexa shook her head and held her teddy close. She felt scared. She started crying. Hannah picked her up. Alexa didn't fight against her. "You miss mummy?" She asked.

Alexa nodded and buried her head into her teddy. Hannah felt herself crying again. Her niece was three years old and lost her mummy.
****

Alexa had fallen asleep on Hannah's lap. Warren walked into the kitchen and looked at Grave and Trevor. "Look, she's my daughter. I think it's only right she comes to live with me and Hannah."

Grace scoffed. "No chance. You didn't even want her when she was younger. She's staying here with her family," she said.

"I'm her father. I have rights to that little girl."

Hannah walked in with a sleeping Alexa. "I suggest you all stop the arguing and think about what's best for this little girl. She's lost her mum and she's in a place with people she doesn't know! Stop the arguing."

Alexa had woken up when Hannah had been talking. She pointed at her. Warren smirked. "See. She wants to stay with me and Hannah. I'll contact social services and tell them that I'm her father."

Hannah rolled her eyes. She took Alexa into the living room and sighed. She heard Trevor speak; "if I find out you had something to do with Aimee being killed, I'll kill you with my bare hands. Do you understand me?"

Hannah walked back into the kitchen. "Warren didn't kill Aimee. Do you mind what you're saying? There is a three year old little girl in there who has had her life flipped upside down. I suggest you all stop this stupid argument and think about Alexa."

Hannah went and sat down with her niece and little brother. But what had really happened to Aimee?