Sixteen - A second chance

"I'm sorry I just barged in like-"

"It's fine." I tossed a bottle of water at Amy who was sitting on the couch, drying her hair with a towel.

"Thanks"

"Did you get drenched in the shower or something?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Shower? Oh no... That's because I got in the way of a person who was watering plants. I kinda dashed into her while running -"

"Oh"

And yet again, an awkward silence stretched out between us. I played with the hem of my t-shirt as I thought about what I had to ask.

"Now, why did she break up with you?"

"I don't know" she shook her head and looked down.

"Did you guys fight?"

"No."

"Did you- do something?"

"No"

"No reason at all?"

She shook her head.

Laura loves Amy. Like crazy Love. I've seen it in her eyes. I know it. She wouldn't break up with Amy for no reason.

"Have you contacted her?"

"She doesn't pick up any calls. She doesn't call me back either."

"And what about-" I paused before letting out "Bethany?"

"Betha-" she started but paused in the middle and looked away. Her face tuned pale with guilt.

"It's okay. Tell me" I said in a calm voice.

"We- we don't really talk anymore. We kinda had a huge fight" she pressed her lips together.

"Oh" I had no clue when that happened.

"I'll ask Luna" I got off the sofa to get water for myself.

"I'm sorry Eli" I heard her faint voice behind me.

"Dosen't mean that I forgive you for what you did" I made myself clear with a stern voice.

"I know. What I did, I cannot forgive myself. I don't expect you to either."

I remained silent, my back facing her. It had been weeks since I had actually talked to her. I didn't know what to say.

"I'm so pathetic."  I turned around slowly to find her face buried in her palms, she was weeping softly trying to be as quiet as possible.

She loves Laura more than she loves herself. The sudden event has broken her down. Though I was her best friend, I had never seen her that sad in my whole life time.

"Just- don't be too harsh on Amy. She didn't really want to do that to you-"

A part of me wanted to ignore but I couldn't.
I walked towards her and crouched down in front of her. I gave her shoulder a little pat.

She looked up, her damp hazel coloured eyes were filled with pain, shock and confusion. I put my hand on the back of her head and pulled her head slowly towards myself, resting it on my shoulder.

"It's okay to let it out"

Her warm tears ran down her cheeks soaking my t-shirt. She sniffed and gasped now and then.

She then raised her head "Thanks. And sorry." She looked at me with utmost sincerity. I just nodded and got up.

The sound of the main door opening was heard. "Sweetie you are there at home right?" Mom shouted before coming in with a bag of groceries.