30.

Benevolent

The next few hours were strenuous. Not the best battle plan to be using all your energy in building defences when the terrors are breathing down your neck.

They had collected gas canisters and made as many barricades as they could. 

Both Deckard and Megan had emphasised that a kill box was one of the only advantages they could create at such short notice. 

Hobbs had fitted right back in with his brothers as they put themselves to work. 

Deckard helping where he could with the defences whilst keep an eye on his wife when his sister wasn't.

Hattie was mainly on Megan duty as she worked on the mainframe of the glove she had collected from the Eteon base a few hours prior. 

The siblings were worried about the brunette. 

She had overexerted herself recently. She was a ticking time bomb before she crumbled. Hattie and Deckard could see it. She was barely keeping it together. 

Usually, she had everything planned and not a detail overlooked as she worked. Megan was always with her actions and deadly with her ideas. Yet, here she was, allowing her work to be sloppy as she climbed a large tower to the rear of the battleground. 

The entirety of the group had agreed that she would be up top, out of as much of the firing line as possible due to her injuries. They needed her off ground. Even if her expertise was with the daggers she had hidden under her clothes. 

She was setting up a zipline and sorting the makeshift sniper she had made with Jonah's 3D printer. She had made it so that it would was compatible with the ammunition from her pistol she'd snuck onto the island. It wouldn't be as accurate, as the bullets were designed better for the barrel of her trusty pistol, but it would suffice. 

"You like my jew new office?" Megan smirked as Hattie climbed up to the top of her tower. Whistling when she noticed the amazing view across the valleys down to the cliffs at the water's edge. It was mesmerising. 

A view both girls wouldn't mind being their last. 

As they looked over the expanse of the green landscape and the beauty of nature, they took a moment to pause and bask in mother natures beauty. The tranquil hills to their left something that they both knew would be demolished by noon the following day. 

"Never thought I'd see you this high without a broom under you," the blonde smirked as she held out a bottle of water. Megan gladly snatching it out of her hand with a grumble at her sister-in-law's comment. 

"Watch it blondie, just because you're my husbands' sister doesn't mean I wouldn't mind pushing you over that ledge," 

"Ditto," Both girls chuckling as they contemplated who would manage to push the other off the high tower first. Calculating eyes meeting for a second as they look the other over. Sly smiles creeping onto their faces as they imagined it. 

Hattie wouldn't put it past the brunette to do it. 

That impulsive nature that Megan had brimming under her skin, something the woman had under a tight, straining, leash. It often scared the blonde at what it made her capable of. 

"I have a bottle of perfume that I don't use in my bag. Wanna make a bomb?" 

Hattie almost choked on the sip of water she took. Her eyebrows shooting up to her hairline as she stared at Megan. A nervous chuckle rumbling in her throat as she looks over to the serious woman. 

"That is the best thing anyone has suggested today," the blonde smirked before flicking Megan with the remainder of what was left in her water bottle. "I think I saw a microwave hanging around here somewhere too,"

"Perfect," Megan purred as she smirked at her sister-in-law before throwing nearly half of her water over the blondes head with a deadly smile on her face, at Hatties shocked expression, "Don't start something you can't finish, girlie," 

"I will gank you one day," the blonde laughed as she flicked her hair over her shoulder and up into a ponytail. 

"No you won't," The brunette confidently said before Megan remembered something she needed to get from her bag. 

"Just a minute, my cauldron is boiling over," Megan excused herself with a smirk as she turned her back and began her descent down the rickety ladder to the ground. Her heart racing at the height as she focused on her foot and hand placements rather than the drop below her if she didn't hold on tight enough. 

Ignoring the sun as it set and cast it's last few rays upon her warm skin, Megan made her way to the truck they had arrived in. 

Tucked neatly inside her bag was a plastic bottle of cheap, spray, perfume. A dangerous smile tugging at the corners of her lips as she remembered the other item she had left Hattie for. 

A small, black bag that way heavy for its size was soon grasped in her palm. Carefully, she opened the drawstring that held it shut and peered inside at its contents; mindful not to drop any of the screws and needles. 

Content, she pushed the items into her pockets and headed off into the shadows to have a little bit of fun. A lighthearted tune slipping past her lips as she hummed and strolled past the group of men rearranging the cars that would be make-shift barriers. 

Deckard stopping in his stride instantly once he hears the light tune and watches his wife strut confidently past them."Shít," he cursed before running after her. 

"Megan," He calls as he tries to catch up to her. He could see the slight limp in her walk, but it was most improved than what it was a few hours ago after she'd had some rest, "Sweetheart,"

"Megs!" he reaches out and grasps her hand tightly in his,

"Dexy?" she smiled as she turned to face him. Still trying to walk in her previous direction but she has to stop when Deckard digs his heels in. Turning her to face him and taking both of her soft hands in his own as he sighs at the nickname.

He could read her like a book. 

Letting out a heavy sigh, he could see from the determined look on her face she wanted to do something more productive and there would be no talking her down from this. 

"Let me help," he offered. Letting go of one of her hands and walking her in the direction she was heading. 

"No need, brother," Hattie smiled as she emerged from behind one of the chassis in the long grass with multiple items in her arms, "Meg and I are gonna have some girl time," 

"That we are, sister," Megan hummed as she sent a pointed look at her husband. Knowing fine well he was worrying too much about her. 

Kissing his cheek she goes to pull away but is stopped as Deckard places his calloused hands on her cheeks and pulls her back for a deeper kiss. 

"Don't worry," Megan places another kiss against his lips, "Hatties on babysitting duty," She pulls away and glares over her shoulder at him, "Don't think I don't know what you two are up to,"

As she disappeared the two siblings sent each other a look.

'Look after her'

'What do you think I'm doing?'

Before they both turned back around to deal with the tasks at hand.