𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

a/n: the next couple of chapters will be in third person perspective

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ]

"Where's my mummy?" The boy moaned spasmodically as he awoke from an artificial sleep.

This was the young nine year old's new fate- an eternity inside MediHeal Laboratories.

He didn't remember much as he woke, just a long journey where his mum has hounded him the entire journey to be a 'good boy' and stay quiet. He thought nothing of it; why should he? He would've done anything for his mum and keeping quiet and obedient wasn't much of an issue.

However, this all changed as they approached a looming building of grey brick, his mum forcefully pulling on his arm.

"Where are we going?" He asked innocently, wrapping his arms around his mum's waist and breathing in the familiar and comforting smell of her perfume. She didn't reply and, even as a youthful child, he knew that something was wrong. Her grip didn't loosen but he began to feel her trembling and his unease expanded.

"Mummy, I want to go home," he moaned as a man, disguised by a surgical mask, swooped past him. Was this a hospital? He'd always been fearful of hospitals since his brother died.

The fear froze him where he stood and he dislodged himself from his mother's stern grip.

"Jeon Jungkook," she snapped, pulling the boy close one more, "be a good boy for mummy, ok? We're nearly there."

Jungkook was always too trusting and so he swallowed his intensifying panic and followed her into an office. That was the last time he saw her.

When the boy finally woke up, he was quick to analyse his surrounding and noticed the right velcro straps around his wrists. He was on one of those portable hospital beds in a room of pure white. What was going on?

He pulled and fidgeted on the bed, trying to contort his body out of the restrains that held him in place but to no avail did they release their grip. He whimpered like a wounded puppy and began to yank harder, feeling the straps begin to burn the surrounding area of his skin from friction. The tears had also begun, streaming endlessly from his eyes.

That was when the man entered.

He was quite short and a little bit chubby with a slightly balding head where a pair of round glasses sat. In his hand he held a clipboard and was hastily scribbling down notes.

"Test Subject 312," he announced, his voice grainy and gravely, "that's your name now."

Jungkook wasn't listening though, his fright increasing as the anaesthetic wore off. He just wanted to go home; he didn't like this cold and emotionless place which smelt like hospital disinfectant. He wanted his bed and his toys and, most importantly, his mum.

"Where's my mum!" The boy wailed in distraught, twisting as far from the man as possible. This man wouldn't, no couldn't understand. He looked like he'd never felt a shred of emotion in his life.

"Calm down Test Subject 312. Look, I even brought Test Subject 311 to keep you company."

That's when Jungkook noticed a boy, a couple years older than him, peaking out from behind the mans legs. Jungkook instantly stopped thrashing to take a closer peek at this new person.

"I'll leave you two to become acquaintances. Remember the rules Test Subject 311."

The boy nodded eagerly and sidled closer towards Jungkook. "Yes Dr Lee, I remember."

With that reassurance, the man left and the two boys were left alone.

"What's happening? Where's my mummy?" Jungkook said, wanting to reach out towards the boy but the boy shook his head.

"I don't know where your momma is but you have me now." The boy stepped forwards and ran a comforting hand through Jungkook's hair, patting his head in a form of reassurance. "My name is Kim Seokjin but you can call me Jin!"

This 'Jin', as he called himself, was beaming so largely that Jungkook felt inclined to answer.

"My name is Jeon Jungkook," he said, his voice no larger than a whisper.

Jin cooed and went back to consoling his new friend.

"What's your enhancement?" He asked, not realising that the boy had only just awoken with very little idea of where he was. Jin didn't seem to realise this and continued to talk, "I can heal people but, at the minute, I can only cure a minor scratch. Pathetic, right? I wonder what you can do, I hope it's something cool."

Jungkook didn't answer and stared at the boy in complete bafflement. Was this a mental institution or something? What did he mean he could heal people? Jungkook could apply a plaster pretty well but he didn't think that could be classified as 'healing'.

The confused look was apparently a clear give away of Jungkook's lack of knowledge and Jin gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Don't worry if you don't know your enhancement yet. It took me weeks to develop; they thought I was another dud for a while but it all worked out in the end."

With that, Jin leaned down and removed the velcro straps from around his wrists, "technically I'm breaking Dr Lee's rules but look at your wrists, they're red raw!"

Jin leaned forward and run a cool finger up and down the red patch. At first Jungkook thought that it was merely another sign of comfort but when he looked down, the red marks had miraculously disappeared.

"That's better," Jin smiled, looking accomplished at his work. Jungkook just stared at him in bewilderment which made Jin chuckle and grab his hands, shaking them as if meeting him for the first time. "I think we're going to be best friends."