𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

a/n: I kinda hate this chapter but oh well

the amount of love this ff is receiving is amazing. I can't get over how nice you all are!

I love reading your comments and talking on my mb so much. thank you.

[ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ]

"What was that all about?" Jeno asked as I passed him the radio which I'd just finished using.

The adrenaline had hit me like a truck when I'd been talking to the Captain and now that the conversation was over, I felt myself fall from the high. My hands shook and I tried to calm my laboured breathing. In and out. In and out.

"Hayeon, are you okay?" Jeno moved closer to me and held my trembling palms in his. "Why don't you try and tell me what you just did?"

Jeno had no idea that I had just solved everything.

I had created a secret code, where I secretly inserted my username into a paragraph in hopes that, if I ever found a way to contact Jungkook's friends, I'd be able to use it to disguise my true intentions. From the outside it would appear as though I was betraying their location when, in actual fact, I was sending them a message.

The hardest part was actually finding a way to communicate the message in a way which would grab their attention. It was a wild guess; I didn't even know if they would have access to the radio signal. However, I knew that they had to be keeping an eye on Jungkook somehow and if this radio line was the only communication in and out of the laboratory, they had to be using it as a spy mechanism. It was a long shot but I hoped that with the help of Namjoon, who Jungkook had reassured me was the smartest person alive, they would understand my intentions loud and clear.

First things first, I had to wait for them to find my account. It took a couple of minutes but eventually a notification popped up. The username was strange and I doubted if it was really them but I had to take the wild guess. However, before replying I had to get Jeno off my trail.

I shook my head. "I don't know. I thought I'd be able to send a message through about Jungkook but... I messed it up."

My very minimal acting skills were coming into play as I blinked rapidly in hopes of conjuring some convincing tears. If I was going to pull off the illusion that I had messed up the radio call, it was going to have to look convincing.

"I don't know what happened," I sniffed, wiping my sleeve across my eyes and smudging my makeup. "Jeno," I looked at him, trying to convince him that I was truly distraught. "What am I going to do?"

Jeno seemed to believe my act and, before I could even comprehend what had happened, I found his arms wrapped around my body. Like Jungkook, he towered over my small frame and I felt as though his whole body had engulfed mine. Even so, the hug was comforting and my guilt multiplied tenfold. Maybe I should tell him? No. I had to keep this to myself.

"Do you," I paused to wipe away a fake tear. "Do you mind getting me a cup of coffee?"

"Of course not." He gave me one last squeeze and a small smile before exiting.

As soon as the door clicked shut behind him, I raced to my laptop and pulled up the Instagram tap. Quickly typing up a message, I leaned back in my seat.

All I had to do now was wait and see if they would reply to my Instagram message and keep Jeno off my trail. I didn't want to lie to him but my trust was wavering. If he proved himself reliable in the future, he'd be the first person I'd tell.