Chapter 24

"Listen to me."

"No."

"You didn't even hear what I said." Dave groaned proceeding to slump against the headboard pouting. Remind me again why a twenty eight year old man is throwing tantrums like a toddler.

"Chris and Luke just had the same talk with me and I denied. So get your pretty head to stop worrying and take rest." I confirmed.

"I think you should go." Dave again said making a point to not drop the topic.

Chris had invited me to his parents anniversary party, but I declined the invite causing me to endure two hours of whining and emotional blackmail from Luke. When I was glad I could resist his puppy eyes and deny it point blank, the two little devils had put Dave on duty and he like the pretend be good boy he is has started his own game of manipulation.

"Dave you will be alone. And the party is not more important than you." I warned my eyes flashing with determination.

"I'm a big boy and I can take care of myself for a few hours." Dave said puffing up his chest.

I narrowed my eyes at him and said scathingly "Which painkillers are you supposed to take when your head hurts?"

Dave's eyes widened clearly not expecting me to throw in the question answer routine.

"The white tablet in the right shelf."he had no idea what he was saying.

"Dave, the white tablet in that shelf is mentos." I replied thus answering my question as to why Dave could not stay alone at home.

"What if I call Emma to stay me? Will you go then? I don't want you to miss out because of me." Dave started again.

"I could, but I don't have a dress. So I'm not going." I said so proud of myself for finding another excuse to shut him up.

"Dress right here." I heard a voice causing me to groan out loud and turned to find Emma standing near the door with a dress in hand and a wide grin.

"You pre-planned this you little piece of shit." I scolded Dave who very innocently was pretending to be asleep.

"I am leaving you two alone and I expect to see both of you and the house intact when I get back." I warned Emma and snatched the dress from her hand and went towards my room to get ready.

"Bye, Gwen I'll miss you." I heard Dave call out.

Now he's awake.

****

"Hi I'm Alec, the much better looking brother." Alec Luke's elder son introduced himself flashing me a charming smile followed by a wink causing Luke and Chris to snort.

"If you were half as handsome as me, then I would think the line is justified." Luke said with sarcasm.

"Are you calling me ugly dad?" Alec asked dramatically clutching his heart.

"No he confirmed it." Chris said causing all of us to burst into laughter.

"That was mean, I may by mistake tell mom about that day" Alec said making a dash for the stairs where you could no doubt see Maria Smith greeting her guests.

Luke was at a moment stunned his own son had turned the tables against him proceeded to run after his first born. Poor fellow would have to endure an angry wife on his anniversary otherwise.

"You look beautiful." I heard Chris whisper in my ear causing a zap of electricity to pass through me looked into his grey eyes and my face began to heat up and soon I would start stuttering.