Chapter 26

I was standing at the door of my parents house for the past fifteen minutes, deciding if I should go in or bolt out at top speed.

The need to know how my father was doing was too strong, but my insecurities pulled me back. What if he doesn't like my presence? What if mom gives me the same disgusted expression?Would I trigger another panic attack?

I envisioned this moment a long time ago, but Dad was not back from the hospital and I was not on the brink of going to jail. Life is funny sometimes, your dreams do come true but not the way you want them to.

Get it done with.

Chris would tell me the exact same words, after giving me a warm and charming smile, maybe even press a small kiss to the top of my head.

Why am I thinking about him at a time like this?

Because you're weird.

My subconscious will get it good one day.

I pushed the button for the doorbell, and waited trying to hear the approaching footsteps.

"Gwen." Mom's eyes widened, she barreled towards me and pulled me into a hug before I can say anything. Her strawberry scent engulfed me, weirdly soothing my fretting nerves. I didn't know what to do, should I push her away, why does life not prepare you for moments like these.

"You look so beautiful, I knew you would come." she said, grinning from ear to ear.

"How's Dad?" I asked.

"He wants to meet you, in the last room go." she encouraged, gently patting my cheek.

In a daze my feet carried me towards the indicated room. I saw him lying on the edge of the bed, not the strong intimidating man I left behind, his face was scrunched up in pain did he have a bad dream? Does he not like my presence?

"Leaving without greeting me? Guess that is what I deserve for my behavior." I heard him.

"How do you feel?" I asked cursing myself for asking such a lame question.

"Better now actually. If your mom asks I'm
still recovering, I love it when she dots over me." He chuckles with a boyish grin, my Dad, a man who wouldn't breathe in the wrong direction was joking. Clearly I'm going mad.

"I read the article regarding you in the newspaper." He says looking at me curiously.

Ohh I understood now, they were ashamed I was ruining the Carter reputation. Maybe I was invited to be told what a disgrace I was. I'm  wrong things don't change, not then not today.

"I should have done more than hope for a better response, and don't worry I will take care not to ruin your reputation." I said bitterly making a dash towards the door.

"Wait! That's not what I meant." I heard his
frantic voice."You would never do anything like this"

"You believe me?" I asked hoping I heard wrong.

"I made the mistake of not trusting you once. I'm not stupid to do that again." He said indicating me to sit beside him.

"Why now?" I asked, they certainly didn't beleive me when I begged, pleaded and cajoled, why believe me now, when I didn't bother giving an explanation.

"Time for your meds, and no amount of whinning will work with me." a soft, amused voice chirped.

"Lily." I chocked out.

"Gwen." she voiced, stunned.

"Come sit by me." Dad urged her softly, indicating to the chair beside him.