Chapter 31

"Did you see Jesus?"

My jaw dropped at the question Alec just blurted out, who even asks that? Talk about comforting a person who is out of an attack.

"No, Alec. You and I are reserved a special place in hell." I grumbled. If only my hand was not hurting, the guy would be nursing a black eye take my word for it. You almost loose your life once and these people decide I'm not fit enough to set foot on the ground.

"Don't you dare think about it. I'm promised a miserable death if anyone even catches you walking." He yelled pushing me back on to the pillow.

I glowered causing him to sit on the couch like a wounded puppy. Darn it, now I feel like a horrible person. Lying on this bed refused to even walk is unbearable but everytime I say something firmly they give me kicked puppy looks and shut me up. They're lucky I don't have my boxing gloves.

"I'm hungry?" I smiled sheepishly.

"So, what?"

"So, you cruel human get your ass up and go get me something to eat."

"I'm not supposed to leave you alone."

"If you don't get me food, I will walk down to the cafeteria and even cheer when you are given a lecture."

"But I can't leave you alone."

"It's either you or me."

"You promised not to move or walk, and call for someone if you need anything." Alec summarised waving his finger threateningly and sauntered out.

"Get yourself a pastrami sandwich while you are at it." I yelled at his retreating figure.

As I was scrolling through my phone when Dave trudged in looking like a stray cat. His clothes were disheveled, his hair looked like a mop and face was tired but as his eyes fell on me he gave a bright smile.

I lifted my arms expecting a hug and maybe some nice words only for the idiot to crush all my hopes and whack the back of my head.

"Ouch! What was that for?" I pouted rubbing the back of my head sulkily.

"You ever pull a stunt like this and land up in the hospital, you don't even want to know what I'll do to you." Dave's eyes darkened, as though he would do well on his threat.

"Has your mom not told you to smack injured people on the head." I asked irritated that he mentioned my precious chocolate.

"Gwen you didn't remember you were injured when I caught you threatening Alec with a broken jaw ." He shot back settling a gentle kiss on my head.

"I have to ask you something?" Dave enquired sitting on the chair beside me.

"Whatever you think it is, I didn't do it." words tumbled out of my mouth, instantly regretting it as his eyes narrowed.

"We will talk about that later." he promised.

Wow, talk about digging up your own grave.

"How did you track down the hitman so fast?"Dave questioned suspiciously.

"I have my sources." I tried to appear casual.

"I'm gonna need more than that." he didn't accept it.

"Rachel helped track him down." I mumbled not meeting his eyes.

"With the way things ended between us, I don't know why she bothered."

"You were injured Dave, did you really expect her to let it go. Rachel was all set to come in and show Liam what messing with you meant. But you know how important her job is, she's held back for the moment, the least she could do was help in tracking him down."