xv.

"Niall, mate, I love you. But for Christ's sake, get off your fucking phone!" Louis yanks his luggage up the drive, complaining about five things at once. "Why is the fucking cottage so fucking far away from where the fucking car is fucking parked?"

"Dad thought you might need the exercise." I deadpan, refreshing my phone again, hoping for a stupid email from Harry. At this point, I would take one of his signature watermelon spams over nothing at all. I've never gotten one before, but Liam shouts about it in the locker room probably once a week.

"Tell me I'm fat one more time, and I'm going to sit my fat arse on your chest until your ribs concave." Louis warns, yanking his luggage again. I sputter a laugh, putting my phone away and focusing on the view to our right. Sometimes I wish my parent's had kept me in Ireland for schooling, because it's gorgeous. New York is great too, but... Ireland, though.

"Aren't you glad you didn't wear those heels you wanted to bring?" I muse and watch as Louis nods his head vigorously.

"Walking this drive in those shoes would have brought me a premature death that rivaled James Dean's."

"Well, I don't know about that. Car crashes are pretty grand ways to go."

"Lots of blood, though. It would ruin my outfit, for sure."

"Just wear last season shit, like, all the time." I shrug, following Louis toward the sidewalk that's now only a few feet away.

"This is true." He notes, sighing heavily for the umpteenth time. "I hate walking, dear God."

"Complain louder." I say. "Then maybe God will care."

"I FUCKING HATE WALKING THIS FAR, JESUS. MAKE IT STOP." Louis shouts at the top of his lungs.

I wait a moment before answering. "Nope, looks like God still doesn't give a fuck about your first world problems."

"It's because I'm gay, isn't it?"

Louis' laughter mixes with my own, both of us laughing at his remark. We reach the cottage's porch just as my mom opens the door to greet us.

"Niall! Louis! How are my babies?" My mom holds out her arms to hug us both at once, and I laugh some more.

"Hey, mom."

"For Christ's sake, we send you to America for three years, and you're already calling me 'mom'." My mom swats at my ass, and Louis coughs to cover a laugh. "How are you Louis? You look lovely today."

"Thanks, Maura!" Louis beams at the compliment, as usual. "I've been great. Mom wanted me to tell you that she found that winery you were talking about. Said she loved their 1968 something or other that she tried."

"Well, why the fuck didn't she just call me herself?" My mom shakes her head. "Don't swear boys. It's a nasty habit."

"We'll try not to." Louis and I answer simultaneously, and my mom rolls her eyes.

"Your rooms on are on the south side, just like last time." She opens the door up wider so that we can fit our luggage through it. "Aunt Jeannie and Aunt Sarah are on their way. They'll be here for a few days only. After that, it'll just be you boys, Madi, and Greg here, cousin-wise."

I hear Louis mumble something about Madi, but I ignore his complaints. "Thanks, mom. Louis and I are probably going to go into town to eat tonight."

"Have fun and be safe. Just text me if you plan on being later than sunset."

"Will do, Maura." Louis answers for me, and my mom pads her way down the long hallway toward her and my dad's wing.

My phone vibrates, and I go to pull it out of my pocket, but with one glare from Louis, I drop my hand and sigh. "I'm waiting for a message from-"