Chapter 20: Gateway

Sora, Admiral Hipper and Graf Zeppelin were around halfway to the second island that was circled on the map. Once they arrived at the Main Base, the Admiral gave them four Wisdom Cubes and a Cognitive Chip. He told the three of them that they would need the Cubes and Chip when they reached the island. He also said that the head scientist would fill them in once the other scientists had completed their research and simulations. Now was that time. The commander's radio came to life.

'Commander Kaiyo, can you hear us?'

'Yep, I can hear you loud and clear.'

'Good. As you have probably guessed, we have finished our research so I will start explaining the things you need to know. The flower in the picture you sent us is the Chie Flower. When ground into a powder, it has healing properties. This is what will heal your injury. The Chie Flower only grows on one island, which is not normally accessible to anyone. This is where the pedestal and portal come in.'

'The four large containers on the pedestal are for Wisdom Cubes. The smaller container is for a Cognitive Chip. Once you place these items in the correct containers, they will fly off the pedestal and towards the ocean. Once there, they should form a gateway. When you pass through the gateway, you will be able to see and touch the island.'

'That was a lot of info.'

'Can you remember it?'

'Yeah. Just put the thingies in the thingies and they'll make a thingy which we go through to get the flower thing.'

'...'

'What?'

'Nothing. You should be approaching the island now.' A landmass appeared on the horizon. Sora switched his radio off.

'Zeppelin, please send a scout plane to the island. See if you can find the pedestal.' She nodded and did just that. Several minutes later, when the three of them were almost at the island, the plane returned. Graf Zeppelin held the plane in her hands for a few seconds, her eyes closed.

'The pedestal is roughly in the middle of the island. There is a path that leads straight to it.'

Sora placed the four Wisdom Cubes in their containers. After struggling for a bit, he pulled the Cognitive Chip out of his pocket and put it in its slot. There was a bright, pale blue light as the five containers rose from the pedestal and flew away, into the trees. The commander and his companions followed them until they reached the north beach of the island.

All three of them stood with their mouths wide in awe. They knew what would happen but they didn't know it would look this epic. Around half a kilometre off the shore of the island, a large, pale blue, glowing diamond had appeared. They could just barely make out the Wisdom Cube containers on the corners, the lower most one hovering just above the Cognitive Chip.

'We've done it,' the commander said. 'We've created the gateway.'