Time

Bucky's POV
It had been a little less than a month. A month since Bucky had seen his son's bright eyes, heard his bubbly laugh, seen his cute little smile. A month since Peter had been brutally tortured and tormented to the point where he fell into a coma.

The team hadn't been the same. No one would see Tony for days at a time because he was locked up in his lab. There were more code greens in a week than there were usually in a month. Thor was slowly gaining Loki's temperament, and Loki was even worse than usual.

Bucky and Natasha took it the worst though. Bucky refuses to eat for days at a time, and his night terrors woke the whole tower. Steve couldn't help him like he usually did.

Only Peter could help him. But right now Peter needed the help.

Nat trained all day. She had even passed out a few times from over exertion. The idea of her little spider monkey being gone forever was like a knife twisting inside of her heart. She was constantly in emotional pain, so why not be in physical pain too?

But both of them visited their baby every day.

They talked to him, sang to him, even tried to coerce him into waking up with bribes.

All of the Avengers were busy ignoring their problems whenever Bruce called a family meeting.

The team had codes for these things. A team meeting  was about a new mission, or a message from Fury. But a family meeting was different. They meant that someone had been injured or something was going on with one of them.

Family meetings were rarely held for good reasons.

They all shuffled into the common room, dark bags hanging under all of their eyes. Each hero could feel dread pooling in their stomach, more than had been there for the past month.

Bruce stood in front of them, a grim expression covering his features. They all froze when they realized what day it was.

Bucky shot up and began shaking his head vigorously. "No, you are not taking him off of life support. He's gonna make it. He has to make it."

His voice cracked at the end of his sentence. No one had spoken Peter's name since the accident. He was only ever referred to as either he or him. Saying his name was too much for any of them.

"I don't have a choice," Bruce said desperately. "The board won't give me anymore time. I even pulled the Avenger card, but they said that considering his age and what happened to him, if he wasn't awake by now he would never wake up."

Tony began muttering under his breath and pulled out his phone. "I'm calling them. Everyone gives into bribes, right?" he asked hopefully, but they all saw the tears pooling in his eyes.

Natasha pulled a set of daggers out of her boot and silently began walking to the door. Wanda used her powers to pull her back to her seat. She just sat there, fiddling with her knives and imagined stabbing them into the hearts of the idiots that hurt her son, though Loki had already taken care of that.

There was so much blood to clean up. Dum-E was silent for days after cleaning up that mess.

Pietro spoke up next. "There has to be something we can do," he pleaded, his accent coming through thicker because of the stress. "The doctors fixed me whenever I was shot, they have to be able to help him!"

Banner only shook his head sadly, watching as the room slowly dissolved into tears.

"We have two hours to say our goodbyes," he announced. Then he left the room.
———————————————————————————
Sorry this one took so long, some personal stuff was going on.

Today I was talking to my brother about how my female cousin might bring her girlfriend to my nana's birthday dinner and he scoffed. I asked him why he did it because I was about to scold him about homophobia but then he just said "that's too many people". We're definitely related.

Nate, how are those chicken strips?
-spidey